Fly Tying
agn54

Florida Bucktail

I was recently given a couple of bucktails from deer here in Florida. I am currently in the process of curing them. Has anyone had any experience with Florida, or other warm weather, bucktails? If so, how do they differ from the northern bucktails that most flyshops sell?

I was recently given a couple of bucktails from deer here in Florida. I am currently in the process of curing them. Has anyone had any experience with Florida, or other warm weather, bucktails? If so, how do they differ from the northern bucktails that most flyshops sell?

I live in N FL and keep all my tails for tying. They dont seem to be as hollow as nothern deer tails but tye wonderfully. You can als dye them. I usually split them down the middle so I can get more colors.

I live in N FL and keep all my tails for tying. They dont seem to be as hollow as nothern deer tails but tye wonderfully. You can als dye them. I usually split them down the middle so I can get more colors.

That is a good idea. How long do you normally cure them with salt before washing/dying them?

I salt them for a week changing salt once a day. then scrape off salt and let air dry. make sure it is fully dry befor washing.