Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Old Hat

Woodchuck Wing Thing

I haven't hit the water with it yet. Too bad about the rod Rocky. I was out today and managed a few trout but no steel. I don't know what they wanted. It was warm enough that there was a nice little midge hatch. I was thinking of wetting my full-dressed midge pattern I am tying for the swap. :D

Thanks.

Yes, The Woodchuck has a longer very transluescent underfur that I just kept in the wing.

The hook is a Partridge Traditional Bartleet CS10/1

You are right Old Hat, I find it awkward a little. Your tying skills are fantastic and that is not at question here, you are an awesome tier. But I think the body should have started farther back to give more room for the herl. Also the hackle is too sparse. A shorter webby feather would have made this look really nice.

Phil

Thanks Phil for an honest opinion. :thumbsup: I was going for a sparse look. Even played with no hackle at all and a shorter wing. I think your right about the length. I could have gone longer with the peacock. I'm also thinking it needs a finishing touch on the butt area. Maybe, no hackle and just a small throat of webby hen. Back to the vise....

Old Hat,

I think you are right the no hackle would make a nice shape with that fly. One of my all time favorite flies is simply a burgundy (wine) colored body with a flat gold rib. For a wing is simply white calf hair. Salmon flies with nothing other than a body and a wing fish really well.... who needs hackle!! A small throat of webby hen would be nice too! For collars and throats all I use are hen backs.

Keep them coming Old Hat. I dont mean to suggest that my opinion is more meaningful than anothers, it is just my opinion.

Phil