Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MbCarp

Cats on the Fly

A reasonable place to start with the cats would be Clousers tied to mimic the local baitfish, they are very adapt predators, and will actively seek out their prey of preference. Figure out what that is and imitate it:) Here at least the cats like the heavier current and in particular holes in that current so if you have that type of water below the dam ,that may be a good place to look for them

For the Carp despite conventional wisdom ,they can be taken on approaches other than sight fishing:)). Some good patterns

Dragonfly nymphs

Small Crawdads 1- 1/12 inches

Leeches

Tan/Red/Brown beaded San Juan Worms-(oligochaeteous worms)

Large Mayfly nymphs

Damsel Nymphs

Chironomid larvae

Snail Patterns like-

user posted image

look for silt puffs/cloudy isolated water/bubble trails/reed disturbances- ie signs of bottom feeding carp and cast in the vicinity- my own experience has been that you have to present the pattern slow- and if you think your going slow then slow it down even more:) if they are UP and feeding the pattern choice should be more obvious but they CAN be fished blind with success

First post on this site. The fish MbCarp has shown you are average size. Yep. Average. The Cats are always on the prowl and the Carp are not far behind. I still have not got him to try the Walleye, Drum, White Bass, Bullheads and so on that live in the Red River but I will get him to try it soon. A little tidbit for you folks. Fly Fish T.V. was up here doing some filming and the shows will air this winter. Keep your eyes open for when they are on and you will be amazed at what was caught.

Any questions don't hesitate to ask.

I should probably introduce FF Anon to you all smile.gif- here in Manitoba FFA has been an evangelist for warmwater FF,ing for quite a number of years and there,s few local species he has,nt caught on a fly rod . He,s a most generous soul so I,d take up the offer and " ask away" smile.gif)))))))))))))

Drum- now they have me intrigued, very game fish on light tackle- i,ve already had them to 27" , but I have my eye on another river for bigger ones:))))))))))))))