Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Satchmo

Home made hackle gauge?

Twice now I have forgotten to get some type of hackle gauge when Im out and about. Is there an easy to make homeade solution to my absent-mindedness? Keep in mind that I probablly don't have all the hook sizes in my gear at this moment. I was thinking that perhaps there is some common measurment in mm or fractions of an inch or maybe a formula.

Thanks in advance

for me a general rule of thumb is to make sure the hackle is about the same length as the hook gap

Hi Satchmo, I use a digital caliper, here is an example http://www.digitalcaliperfactoryoutlet.com...lipers_main.htm, You can get cheaper models with a little searching. I like it because I separate hundreds of feathers at a time fairly often. It also works for all hook manufacturers. I use the internal points to measure hook gap, and multiply 1.5 for hackle, and 2x for wings. Use the external points to measure, as you can hook the stem on one point. I use a small c clamp to gently hold it at my bench or to a TV tray to separate feathers and watch Letterman at the same time. You can then set the thumbscrew to hold the distance, so get one with a thumbscrew, should you like this idea.

Cheers, Futzer.

Great tip Futzer, thnak you. Next question then: Lets say your sizing hackle for a size 18 hook. Do you size the feather starting from the tip or the base of the quill, and if the feather has a even slight taper to it do you cut the hackle feather and use them for other size hooks? (essentially saving pieces for other sizes)

Satchmo

The following pdf contains printable hackle gauges that you can laminate to make your own cheaper version.

Hackle_Gauge.pdf

Ron

You could laminate it to a 1/4 piece of plexiglass and drill a 3/8" hole in it and it will fit on your vise shaft

where it will always be handy.

Fred

satchmo,i got mine from sport mart for just under 10 bucks,it has a magnet on it that holds ure flies and a foam line to put flies on,it also fits on your vice.I find my self laying materials and flies on it more than using the gauge though.Ilove it

shane

There are a few inexpensive options from J. Stockard, and one of them could be purchased for only $2.95. The pdf I provided is a cheap alternative, but if you factor in having to purchase a piece of laminate/plexiglass as well as time involved making it then the cheapest version from Stockard would be the way to go.

Ron