Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
B.C.TroutHunter

An Unknown fly

( laugh.gif The title sounds almost like its a game laugh.gif )

Hi, the following fly was copied from another fly fisher I met once (and never saw again) while fishing Marble River, and would like to know if you guys know which fly it is (tried internet without any success). He said it was great for Trout, but from the eye of the hook till the tips of the tail is a bit over 2 inches (this might be common, but it is the largest trout fly I have heard of dunno.gif ). Thanks.

Notes: fly has wing and beard of pheasant tail, body of black floss (I tied mine with black rabbit), a quinae fowl tail, and peacock herl thorax.

post-3-1090017770.jpg

It looks like a caddis nymph of some kind. I tie "breadcrusts" very similiar to this but I tie the soft hackle right under the eye. They work great!

this is a variation of a Picket Pin, which is a common wet fly used in Pennsylvania's freestone fisheries. The versions I have seen were tied in the same style only used peacock herl for both the abdomen and thorax, and had a wing with grey squirel tail.