Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
iso18

any 1 know any links of little black

All I can find is a recipe for a little black stone foam.It just gives the recipe.Only problem i am having is the reverse hackle wing.I am new to this style wing and am getting them tyed on,but they never seem to wanna lay straight across the back.They either lay to the left or to the right.Help please. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

shane

To counter this problem i have been tying 2 over wings,is this a feasable way for a little stonefly black?

Ahhh the elusive early black stone fly recipe. Our stones here in PA are nothing like the stones the anglers out West are used to. Quite small as Im sure in VA. I searched the PAflyfish website last winter and couldn't get much.

Necessity is the mother of invention. Not that I invented these flys, but Ive been using a black deer (elk)hair caddis for a dry and little black hares ears usually with biot tails/silver rib for a nymph. Fished the black hares ear today on fresh stockies and fall holdovers and did well.

Sorry I don't know the reverse hackle wing, but I hope this helps.

Iso what are you using for the wing on the back...swiss straw or hackle fibers?

Brian,I am using the reverse style hackle for the back wing.And hackle in frony.Something like a henryville,cept,the body is black foam and the wing is a reverse hackle wing.

I think there was an article in hatches bout this,im gonna go look right now.

shane

Got it.Thank you Al and Gretchen beaty.All i needed to do was do the wonderwing in reverse.

shane

Ahhh the elusive early black stone fly recipe. Our stones here in PA are nothing like the stones the anglers out West are used to. Quite small as Im sure in VA. I searched the PAflyfish website last winter and couldn't get much.

Necessity is the mother of invention. Not that I invented these flys, but Ive been using a black deer (elk)hair caddis for a dry and little black hares ears usually with biot tails/silver rib for a nymph. Fished the black hares ear today on fresh stockies and fall holdovers and did well.

Ridleyffo - We have an early black stone fly on this side often called the winter stone. I use a flymph pattern. I will grease it if I want it to float a bit or otherwise let it drift. Often I will just dab it along the bank. It is my go to fly for this hatch. This is the link to the fly. Winter Stone

Ridleyffo - We have an early black stone fly on this side often called the winter stone. I use a flymph pattern. I will grease it if I want it to float a bit or otherwise let it drift. Often I will just dab it along the bank. It is my go to fly for this hatch. This is the link to the fly. Winter Stone

Thanks Old Hat. I'll give it a try. I didn't realize you had small stones out West.

Is that tail what makes a flymph different than a traditional soft hackle? It also seems as there are a few more twists of hackle than a traditional soft?

Thanks Old Hat. I'll give it a try. I didn't realize you had small stones out West.

Is that tail what makes a flymph different than a traditional soft hackle? It also seems as there are a few more twists of hackle than a traditional soft?

What makes a flymph a flymph? It's not the tail. There are quite few other soft hackle patterns which use tails. The main attributes are that the fly is wingless, the body dubbing blends with the silk thread to give an appearance of a translucent color combination. Most flymphs have tails as it was originally intended to look alive with movement underwater. Some of the flymphs have a palmered hackle as this one does, some were just wrapped at the head. I tie them both ways but almost always palmer the hackle on larger flies and stonefly imitations. I normally use 2 to 3 wraps to palmer the hackle. One wrap in the front and one to get to the back of the thorax, then sometimes another at the back of the thorax. This is a little but not much more than 1 to 2 wraps I use on most of my soft hackles. The bright lighting in the picture makes the fly a little more purple (brings out the under thread color) and the hackle a bit lighter than it appears naturally.

I always thought a true flymph,was a floating nymph.FLymph.

What makes a flymph a flymph? It's not the tail. There are quite few other soft hackle patterns which use tails. The main attributes are that the fly is wingless, the body dubbing blends with the silk thread to give an appearance of a translucent color combination. Most flymphs have tails as it was originally intended to look alive with movement underwater. Some of the flymphs have a palmered hackle as this one does, some were just wrapped at the head. I tie them both ways but almost always palmer the hackle on larger flies and stonefly imitations. I normally use 2 to 3 wraps to palmer the hackle. One wrap in the front and one to get to the back of the thorax, then sometimes another at the back of the thorax. This is a little but not much more than 1 to 2 wraps I use on most of my soft hackles. The bright lighting in the picture makes the fly a little more purple (brings out the under thread color) and the hackle a bit lighter than it appears naturally.

How come you never see dry patterns for stone flys? I know we discussed a bit here but it really seems like most stone patterns are nymphs.

Fished all weeked and there was a smorgasboard of hatches with midges first, then BWO then some early black stones. (man are they cool looking bugs). Any way I saw two stones get taken on top. one was flittering in the film and got slammed and then another was hovering about 2-3 mm above the water and he got eaten. Both got hit extremely hard too!

Do the stones ovi posite their eggs over the water? These bugs were big, Nearly an inch square with the body a bit longer than the wingspan was wide. Any suggestions on a nice big chunky dry pattern? I was thinking of making a "dry hackle brush?" over a bodkin and tie it perpendicular to the shank to try and duplicate the two sets of wings. Any ideas, suggestions or other dry recipes. I would think a dry damsel pattern might work well?

How come you never see dry patterns for stone flys? I know we discussed a bit here but it really seems like most stone patterns are nymphs.

Fished all weeked and there was a smorgasboard of hatches with midges first, then BWO then some early black stones. (man are they cool looking bugs). Any way I saw two stones get taken on top. one was flittering in the film and got slammed and then another was hovering about 2-3 mm above the water and he got eaten. Both got hit extremely hard too!

Do the stones ovi posite their eggs over the water? These bugs were big, Nearly an inch square with the body a bit longer than the wingspan was wide. Any suggestions on a nice big chunky dry pattern? I was thinking of making a "dry hackle brush?" over a bodkin and tie it perpendicular to the shank to try and duplicate the two sets of wings. Any ideas, suggestions or other dry recipes. I would think a dry damsel pattern might work well?

Riddelyfo,look down a few posts and you see a post that says swasula fly,its a stone,kinda like the bunyan bug paul used in a river runs through it ,i think

shane,,,maybe its not a dry,its on page two.Also,look at the top at the foam an fur stone,real fun flie to tie,i tied half a dozen,never know when i meet need them.Also google,bunyan bug,or balsa wood stones.

hope this helps

shane

check out my blog

http://www.hatchesmagazine.com/blogs/isoemerger18/

Good question. My $0.02

Stones "hatch" by crawling to the bank or up some rocks (thus the term "stone" fly"), so there's no dun sailing on the surface when they're hatching. And the behavior you see when they're laying their eggs is one of two ways: either they're doing that skittering thing much like caddis or they slap into the water and dive to the bottom to deposit their eggs. So there's none of that classic time on the surface that you get with mayflies.

I would imagine that a large, dark caddis fly (a downwing dry) would do well to imitate the stones if you skitter it across the surface.

Dries: Clark's Stonefly, Stimulator, or a Goddard Caddis for smaller stones all work very well.