Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Newby1

Cheap Foam

I know this has been done before, but I finally went to Wal-mart to look for it and I found this package for only $5. It feels the same as the fly tying foam I bought from sportsmans, which is the small orange piece on top, 2 of those cost me $2.

post-18319-1238559325_thumb.jpg

post-18319-1238559348_thumb.jpg

What part of the store do you usually find that in?

It was in the sewing section where they have some of the crafts

What's on the label?

What's on the label?

It says "creative hands" rainbow foam and its got 50 sheets in it

What's on the label?

It says "creative hands" rainbow foam and its got 50 sheets in it

Sweet.. thanks for the info :D

When all the fly shops go out of business I'm sure Wal-Mart will have good fly fishing advice and some tippet and leaders too. :devil:

Hise,

I've heard a lot of fly shop owners complain about people buying tying supplies from other sources than fly shops, but what are you guys doing to remain competitive?

Over the past years, I haven't seen the prices of foam drop in the fly shop, or the pieces get larger. Despite the fact that foam is readily available in most craft stores nationwide. When I can go to the ma and pa craft shop and buy a sheet of foam for $1.50 (or the big chain for less than a buck), and the local fly shop sells a piece of foam 1/4 to 1/6 of the size for the same price; which one is the better choice then?

You as a retailer can contact a distributor to sell the full size sheets yourself, and be competitive in the market. This to me seems the reasonable choice. And more fly tyers will buy from shops, as they would feel that the price is reasonable.

So, Hise, in these times, it is the fly shops that need to adapt. Look at your shelves, and ask yourself, can I get these same products on my shelves for a cheaper price, and pass those savings onto my patrons? In many cases yes, but it will require some work on your side of the business, and having a larger network of suppliers. I understand it's very nice, and convenient, to call Wapsi, Hareline, etc. and have them fill your shelves with their products.

I live in the Northwest and know a couple shops that do this. They buy in bulk, repackage (during their down times), and pass the savings onto their customers. As long as the quality is same, there's no complaints. A win-win situation. Happy customers, are repeat customers.

So, Hise, if it's make or break for you if I buy my foam from Wal-Mart, fine, I'll come to your shop to buy a new fly rod, reel, or tippet, but you can keep your overpriced foam to yourself.

Listen to your customers, don't complain. If the customers are going to Wal-Mart, figure out how to compete with Wal-Mart, or stock what you need for the few guys that feel they can save a fly shop by buying a couple packages of overpriced foam.

Just my two cents.

Orange Caddis

Caddis, well put. I have adapted and continue to adapt as much as I am able. The wholesale distributors are the ones who make the prices, not me. I spend 60 to 80 hours a week doing what I can to compete in whatever way I can. I have been in this business for over 22 years and understand, to some degree, what needs to be done.

Wal-Mart is one of the main reasons that small business in America is becoming a thing of the past. Unfortunate but true. Also, part of the reason America is in the state it is.

My 3 cents.

With the exception of Gunnison, Colorado, I've never been to a Wal-Mart that had enough fly stuff to be competitive with local shops. Bass Pro and Cabela's are another thing entirely, but we're starting on Wal-Mart here (and we're not talking about on-line discounts either)

As for foam, neither Wal-Mart, Michaels or Hobby Lobby carry patterned foam. A small shop could and it would sell.

Here's the point.

I tried to succeed in the commie tackle market for years and a small shop can't compete with the big boys selling plastic worms. But, smaller shops can focus on carrying fly stuff that the big box stores don't have. There's plenty out there to fill a shop's shelves. I'm willing to say that I've looked at practically all the inventory in large stores and small stores and fly tying items are generally not a competitive market.

As for BassPro and Cabela's (Academy doesn't carry enough fly stuff to be worth the gas to go) their prices on things like thread and materials are no better than most small shop prices. Their prices on things like beads and eyes are terrible compared to shops. It's really the rod/reels and clothes that would seem to present a problem to smaller shops.

one of our local salt water shops buys in bulk and re-packages he ends up with a better selection and he makes a profit to boot. I am sure local fly shops can do the same for some things. this weekend (Saturday) I hope to be going to my local Fly shop to pick up some of the supplies I need to start tieing material. I have looks at Bass Pro shop and there trout kit but I do not need a vice so I think it might be a waist that is of course unless my daughter want to tie too.

When all the fly shops go out of business I'm sure Wal-Mart will have good fly fishing advice and some tippet and leaders too. :devil:

Unfortunately Foam was the one thing the nearest fly shop didn't have. I still wound up spending a $40.00 for materials though. I even found a 6' 3wt Fly Rod that's just calling my name. :lol: