Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

drift boat questions

i might be able to get a drifter here in a couple of weeks. nothing fancy, but enough to get me started.

it doesnt have any oars from what i understand, so if i get it i will be in the market for a pair. how much do they normally run, and where can i pick them up from? i am guessing that i should be able to from the hyde dealer in newaygo, mi. but i am more worried about the price of them.

any help on this would be appreciated

thanks

I think the counter-balanced oars are $200 each. Check the Hyde website, they have prices listed for the various oars.

Mike

Steve at the newaygo shop is a pretty nice guy and should be able to set ya up for a decent price on oars,ask him if he has any used trade ins first though.

sean

I have a older pair of 10 ft drift boat oars. they are yellow fiberglass, I also have a 35lb pyrmid anchor. I was going to use them in my old row boat but they where too big for that little boat. They would be a good starter set or backup for a nice little drifter

Let me know if your interrested. They are priced to move quickly!!

ok Mike, We will let Sean decide first, if he dont want it than its all yours!

I will sell the anchor for what I paid for it $30 plus shipping.

Let me know if guys wants pictures. I will try to take some after work and upload them.

$200 each!?!?!?!?!? Man, I guess I love living in boating/whitewater heaven then. Cataracts can be bought for $140 each, counterbalanced for $160. Damned. Give a guy a coronary.

I'd actually STAY AWAY from an actual boat dealer. Unless by chance there are no boating places nearby. If you don't want to get those oars above (which I'd suggest UNLESS you are buying a small driftboat that has a 48" bottom, then they'd be a TAD too big), then I'd find a place that sells Carlisle oars. You can buy a set of carlisle oars for about $150. Hell, for just over $200, you can have your two oars PLUS your backup oar (a requirement here on the westcoast).

Sometimes you can get lucky. What you should do is find another board (no offense to this one) that is more of a "boating" bulletin board. Then post same question about oars. You'll find tons, if not FREE oars. Say it this way. On my big steelheading board, I was given FREE (yes FREE) a set of 8 1/2' Sawyer counterbalanced oars. PERFECT size for my 16x48 driftboat. I got the boat free, and was going to use a set of my old cataract oars on it. But got these, so figured why not? lol. But try what I suggested. You may find a nice pair really cheap. Hell, if you're running a big enough boat, those 10' would work great. But by most calculations, they are best suited for 18-20' driftboats. You can row them on a smaller boat, but you best be in shape to do it (I actually prefer longer oars when I'm running harder rivers or plugs).

i havent looked at the boat yet so i have no idea what size it is (length wise and width wise) my dad saw it while i was in the UP on vacation. hopefully i will get over there to see it this weekend sometime. the guy who lives next door to it is a friend of ours and he says it is like 12ft long but very narrow.

how do you determine what size oars to get? scott, i am interested if they fit the boat, and i end up getting it. i am hoping that for the price of it, my family will get it for my birthday here in a couple of weeks.

There's a formula that goes with boats. Can't think of it off top of my head. But a 12' boat you'd want 8' MAX. Unless it's really wide. But 10' would be overkill (we use 10' on our 16-18' catarafts where we need maximum pull). Now, a 16x56 I could see 10'. But 12', hmmm, I'd say 7-8' oars. I know I used 7' on my 10 pram (river pram, not lake) and had tons of pulling power.

I agree with Jerry on the 7-8ft if it's a 12' boat ..i cant rember for sure but i think i had 9ft oars on my 17' drift boat.

FFE do you know what make the boat is? just wondered

SD

no, i dont know what kind it is. i dont even know if it is a brand name one. from what i understand, it is a hand made boat made in owosso, mi

If its green it could be a stealth craft i believe Jim Johnson the former owner of johnsons lodge on the PM makes 12'ers here in Mi if i'm not mistaken.

Hope it works out for ya.

SD