Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dave@hss

big horn flies

I have a question for all of you Big Horn fishermen out there. Planning a trip in Septemper Im tying for a small group of

first timers and Im told that a "Ray Charles" is the hot fly. How do you tie it?

Dave,

Myself and a few others from the fly shop make a trip to the Bighorn River at least twice a year. Fall is a great time to go. Do not leave for the bighorn without scuds in grey and orange and black midges. It seems no matter what I start fishing with when we get there, the scuds and midge are always the top producers. The Ray Charles is a great pattern, take along some tied in pink as well as grey.

If the browns are up in the riffles getting ready to spawn, skip all the other flies and tie on a large (14) scud or egg pattern. Last October 3 of us went for two days and we easily caught 100 fish each. The vast majority were 16 inches or longer with the largest fish being 22 and 24 inches. At the beginning of the trip, I used a midge and grey scud and couldn't hardly buy a strike. As soon as I figured them out and tied on an orange scud with an egg dropper, I couldn't keep them off! At the end of the day we could hardly land the fish because our arms were so tired! Make sure you use plenty of weight! You want the fly to get down there fast!

There are also BWO's (20-16) and black caddis (16) hatches in the fall so take a couple dry flies as well. I would recommend using a double nymph rig most of the time though. Large bunny streamers in black, yellow, and brown will catch fish too.

Are you taking a boat or are you wading? If you're wading, I would recommend starting at 3-mile Access, there are several islands and side channels right at the boat ramp that hold lots of fish.

Best regards,

Cody

Don't worry there's no fish in that river. Oh, and BTW, if you go without a guide...You will pay your dues. I'm not reccomending you get a guide, but your gonna wind up skunked if you don't know the rigging! Ask around and find out the day before hitting the river. This may save your skin the next day on the water. We pounded that river hard for two days before figuring it all out. A guide felt sorry for us because we had came such a long way and were almost bust on our second day of fishing. The next two and half days we murdered them.

Good luck! Hope you rip lips the entire time, stick one or two back for those two days of hard fishing and no fish to hand.

Ohh, and the better fly is the Ray Charles Soft Hackle and a pink lightning bug!

~Brett