Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Floyd

Foam Stone

Wrap thread on needle and take end and place in material holder.

post-1533-1242681996_thumb.jpg

Place narrow piece of foam on bottom of needle. Place two pheasant tail fibers on top of hook and make a couple of wraps.

post-1533-1242682219_thumb.jpg

Place a piece of foam about twice as wide on top. Lift foam and wrap thread on needle. Make wrap around foam to form segment. Lift foam and move thread around needle. Wrap foam again only this time make the segment wider. Do this two more times while making each segment wider than the previous one. Cut thread leaving about an inch. This will make the tail section have a tapered appearance. Remove tail from needle and take thread that was put in material holder and pull the slack out that has been created when it was pulled off the needle.

post-1533-1242682427_thumb.jpgpost-1533-1242682512_thumb.jpg

Place tail on hook so that the back of the first segment is just at the bend of the hook. Tie down tail and be sure to tie both ends of the thread down also. Cut off excess. Now lift tail and wrap thread on hook. Make a couple of loose wraps between first and second segments, just enough to hold tail down.

post-1533-1242682743_thumb.jpg

Now place Web Wing on tail and make a couple of wraps that is just tight enough to hold wing in place. Now move thread up to where tail was tied on and tie down firmly. Take a piece of foam and cut as shown in photo. I found it easier to fold foam and cut off corners then trim to width as shown.

post-1533-1242682947_thumb.jpg

Tie foam on hook as shown. Tie eyes and legs on hook.

post-1533-1242683102_thumb.jpg

Bring foam back over hook and make wrap behind eyes to form head. Now move thread back to where tail was tied on. Make a couple of wraps over foam to form body of fly. Tie off and trim wing and legs.

post-1533-1242683216_thumb.jpgpost-1533-1242683319_thumb.jpg

Never mind the post I put on the swap page. Chris said good thing that you posted the stones because he was going to after the swap if it was ok with you. We must have been posting around the same time because after I had posted on the swap that I had received your flies you had posted the pattern of the foam stones. By the way they look GREAT!.

Flyfisher13 - Jamie

Great step by steps, Floyd. Your designs have sparked my creativity with foam...Thanks for the great jumpstart! Keep 'em coming!

Nicley done Floyd. I know alot of the trout fishermen are going to benefit from the step by step for this pattern.

I have'nt veiw this post until now because it took too long to load but now I have DSL at work .Yohoo

Fred

Thanks Fred. Glad to see you have broadband now. Much better than the dial up. I'll be heading up to the White Mountains in a couple of weeks and will be giving the Foam Stone a good workout.