Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BigDaddyHub

PISSED OFF THIS EVENING

Mr. Alabama, that law may say that yeah you can snag them to catch them but it doesn't say that they have to slaughter them into pieces and trash the banks with them so the smell is aweful and you can barely walk on the gravel bar without stepping on them. I could even somewhat understand if they were snagging them to catch one because they are fun and they wanted to have it mounted for a wall hanging but trashing the bank is a whole other thing. Sportfish or not they are fish and they have a purpose. And for dealing with it, let us Kentuckians worry about that and you in Alabama not worry. We do things a little different. :nono: And for the regulation summary it is a big pile of :poop:

Thanks so much for the life lessons, "Mr. Kentucky".

As I've said all along, I in no way agree with what was done. Many states where I've lived (or traveled to hunt or fish) have an explicit clause in the regulations regarding "wanton waste" of game and fish. I could have overlooked that line in your regs. This is a good example of Published Laws versus Perceived Ethics. We all know it's not RIGHT, even though it may not be ILLEGAL. Shooting someone with a slingshot pretty much IS ILLEGAL anywhere.

As for worrying about it, by posting in an open, worldwide forum, you invite comment from anywhere, by default. "let us Kentuckians worry about that and you in Alabama not worry." If you don't want anyone else to worry about it, don't post it.

Also, apparently, you consider the regulations published by your state agency to be "a big pile of :poop:" ? So then what do you care if someone breaks or bends one of the regulations?

Good luck with all this.

Considering Alligator Gar is on my list of fish that I would most like to catch, I may have to schedule another vacation\fishing trip to Kentucky in the near future. I have to agree with Flyfisher13 on this one, there is no reason for killing fish and leaving them to rot on the shore line.

The saying that Cajun's will eat anything that doesn't eat them first is not without some merit.

I must have been born in the wrong part of the country. ;)

Thanks Rich, there are still a few of us out there. Rotting fish is a problem within its self.

And that would be Mrs.Kentuckian thank you. The orginal post wasn't post by me but I am from Kentucky and agree with the post.

Man that makes me MAD!!!!! It is WRONG to kill a fish (even if it is an ugly fish) and not eat it, ooohh that makes me mad!!!! :wallbash:

But actually gar are pretty when they're hooked and fighting to no end.

I apologize to each and every member of this forum who has taken the time to read this thread...It seems every time JS and my wife end up on the same forum, it becomes a pissing match...chalk it up to personality differences I suppose....I was simply outraged at the "wanton waste" of fish....especially fish that were literally in midspawn..and for anyone who ASSumed the post was about people...well, your typed it right, you ASSumed...Being an officer, I have followed up with a few Fish and Wildlife buds who tell me there are criminal Kebtucky Revised Statutes regulating the "intentional waste and abandonment" of wildlife, including fish...and as for the LEGAL harvesting of these fish for bow fishing trophies,and yes, even fertilizer, I have absolutely no problem with that, I just had a major problem with the mentality of the whole situation. What if the images had been those of dead nesting mallards? Are clubbed harbor seals? The outrage is different for everyone with a different view of what wildlife is more worthy of being protected versus another species.

JS,

I'm very methodical about how I do things. I don't just get in "anyone's face", even though the Commonwealth has trained me to do just that . I know when the law is one my side and when it isn't....this whole thread was just to bring about a little "friendly" discussion...I apologize that it went beyond what it was intended.

Think I'll just go to my Happy Place and be with my thoughts for a while.....Peace and Love, Everyone. Peace and Love

Hmmm... Kentucky is contemplating using MY TAX DOLLARS to do a reintroduction project of gar, with a possible side effect of letting people SHOOT a fish which really can't be eaten or used for anything but fertilizer.

The "can't be eaten" part is not strictly correct. The fish can be eaten. I remember eating garfish balls(probably in a courtbouillon) one time when I was a child. It wasn't bad.

The saying that Cajun's will eat anything that doesn't eat them first is not without some merit.

Gar fish Balls :unsure: :whistle:

Yes Bruce... Garfish balls. I left myself open for that didn't I. But think "as in" Meatballs and spaghetti and not "as in" reproductive organs.

Yes Bruce... Garfish balls. I left myself open for that didn't I. But think "as in" Meatballs and spaghetti and not "as in" reproductive organs.

Thank goodness you clarified that, as it didn't occur to me you were thinking in terms of, ""as in" Meatballs and spaghetti." :huh: :lol:

-- Mike

Of course I knew what you were talkin about, Just tryin to :rolleyes: lighten it up a bit

people, I AM on your side! again- I think it is a foolish, stupid, unethical, amoral thing to do. People went off on emotions, threatening violence against the unknown perpetrators. I just did ten minutes of research on the internet and found that snagging gar is apparently perfectly legal. If there is a wanton-waste clause regarding gar in Kentucky, it isn't in the regulation pamphlet. Killing the gar and leaving them to rot on the bank is just plain stupid, but it may not be against the law. The morons around here do it all the time too.

I had a large part of a career dealing with Ethics versus Regulations. It's always a sticky, smelly situation. If it affects you that badly, form a task force to get the regulations changed.

No hard feelings, just don't shoot me with slingshots when I'm driving through Kentucky next week, and my car isn't the color you like, or I order something at a restaurant you don't think should be on the menu!

SHHHH!!! i'm in my "happy place"..... :hypocrite:

Peace, Bro....and have a safe trip....You are just "passing through" , right? :lol:

Must admit I've seen something similar on my holidays last week. For a couple of days we saw a gill net along a beach. After a couple of days we noticed a dogfish in it. When we went out a couple of hours later, we saw the flatfish had been taken, but the dogfish was thrown to one side. To make matters worse a couple of days later I saw 7 flatfish thrown out, too small to be eaten on their own, but they'd make a substanial pie. The next day I saw the same dogfish washed up by the tide.

It makes me sick. :cursing: :gun_bandana: