Fly Tying
scottiedog

The Spun & Crippled Swap

SWAP CLOSED

9 swappers, tying 18 flies each - 18 of same fly, or 9 of two different flies - swapper's choice

The Spun & Crippled Swap... inspired by Kelly Galloup's Cripples & Spinners book - and also by the podcast on Fly Fishing Internet Radio.

(This is also posted on FAOL, so the post sign-up management will be done by email)

So, here goes:

Allowed Patterns: anything that is a cripple or spinner

Number of Tyers: Min 12, Max 20 - when signing up, just be prepared to tie up to 20 flies if we get that level of interest.

Sign-up Deadline: 10th June - 5pm EST - I'll close it out then at whatever number of tyers we have. If it's less than 12 I'll extend the deadlines so we can get a good swap size. Advise pattern ASAP after signing up - I'll bug you till you do. Also PM your email address and I'll use a list to keep everyone updated with progress.

Tying Deadline: 10th July - flies to be received by then at latest.

Rules: ALL flies submitted to be accompanied by fully self-addressed, stamped return envelope - use a rigid container to ensure your flies don't get squashed - and stick toe tags on all the flies so people know what they are getting.

I'll PM you my address for shipping when the sign-up closes. Please PM me your email after sign-up.

Don't leave to the last minute - if I get them in early, I'll ship them back early.

If you read the book or listen to Kelly's podcast, you'll realize how important fishing this type of fly is - what better way to get stuck in than with a good selection of flies.

Thanks,

JW

Swap Members

1. texfly (FAOL) : DOA Cripple, DOA Spinner

2. Ron Eagle Elk (FAOL) : Snowshoe Hare BWO Cripple

3. cholcomb13 (FAOL) : CDC & Elk Cripple

4. sanctyphillia (FAOL) : PMD & BWO

5. johnniewalker (FAOL) : Galloup's Knocked Down Cripple & Galloup's Downed Caddis

6. Student4evr (FTF) : TBD

7. Feenom (FAOL) : TBD

8. sjo (FAOL) : #18 Charron Sparkle Dun, #18 Weamer's Burke Emerger

9. Old Hat (FTF) : Callibaetis Cripple : RECEIVED

Scottiedog:

I have probably tied hundreds of cripples in the course of my efforts. It will be somewhat satisfying to do it intentionally. <_<

I'm in.

By the Way, there is a good article in the new "Fly Tyer" on Bob Quigley.

Frank aka Student 4evr

Scottiedog:

If it turns out that there are a small number of swappers, why don't we do 2 or 3 patterns to fill up those altoids tins. :dunno:

Frank aka student4evr

Everyone - I spoke with steeldrifter before I posted this swap - informed him of the background to the swap being on FAOL and not getting quite enough people, so asked if okay to post here - was given authorization to do so. Check me out on FAOL for more info - userid there is johnniewalker.

Can assure everyone this is a bona fide swap and will be executed professionally.

Pretty specialized, so looking for people who either enjoy already this style of fishing, or want to gain a starting set of flies.

JW

student4evr - testing your suggestion of x2 flies to get this to a good sized swap - we're at nine tyers right now. Should be fine to go ahead and then we can close this swap and start tying!!

OK! Old Hat - you're last in.

Swap now closed - we'll tie 20 flies each, can be 20 of the same pattern, or 10 of two different patterns.

Let's tie!!

I have been off fishing some great lakes in BC for the last 10 days and I am really glad to see the last participant joining. Welcome Old Hat, your flies go into my Archives; I will copy but won't fish.

Frank aka Student4evr

Some phenomenal flies in from Old Hat!!!

Thanks - look forward to receiving the rest of them and turning around quickly.

JW

All flies in the mail - thanks for participating!!

The set is excellent, a really great spread from big # to small # and covering imminent hatches, certainly here in the east.

Cheers - JW

All flies in the mail - thanks for participating!!

The set is excellent, a really great spread from big # to small # and covering imminent hatches, certainly here in the east.

Cheers - JW

Got mine yesterday, thanks so much for hosting. It is as you said a great spread of flies from all participants.