Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Easy tanning for tiers

Well, I am getting ready to go and pick up (get ready, you might want to sit down for this) 2 elk hides and a deer hide. I am planning on using your method to drying and tanning these bad boys.

Thanks for the info

Jim

BIG DADDY, thats great info, not to meny guys know about that. Ive been saving skins for some time. the colors in some are MUCH BRIGHTER than store bought.

you might think this a LITTLE extreme BUT I have stoped an pick up road kill,an skun them in the back of my truck. I got a SKUNK one time he was SUPER BIG,

the guy about 100 yards ahead of me had him bounce of his tire. when I stoped.

the guy I had working w/ me wanted to know why we were stopping. when I told him I was going to pick up that SKUNK thats was just hit, he said WHAT bugeyes.gif

well I put him in the back of the truck he ended up on the shop wall for a long time.

now that Im retiering/closing the shop. one of my old customers got him, an will use him to tie some flys with. heres a better one one morning befor opening I was getting a coffee an a girl came rushing into the coffee shop saying there was a dead bird on the side walk, went out an it was a PARTRIDGE, DON'T ask me how it got there BUT I skined him also.

'GOOD LUCK GOOD SKINNIN" cheers.gif

Salty I must say that you fit in quite well around here. There is a bunch of us who are constantly scouting for new material on the side of the road. I'll be looking even closer when it starts to get a little colder because the kill stays fresher a little longer.

Now the skunk thing, well that is a little extreme!

Will

hell fire, son! Ain't no tier worth his salt gonna pass up a free roadkill without inspectin' the damage first!!! biggrin.gif I have harvested many roadkills, especially squirrels and rabbits; a few deer; a KY elk(which I donated to a local BSA troop), and a Ky black bear(possum and raccoon ate most of that). Somewhere, lost in all this stuff we call information, we had a nice discussion on harvesting roadkill....was quiet interesting.... biggrin.gif

to bad you guys dont live closer, my daughter friend, just gave her a rabbit he shot, he field dressed it an it's frozen. just yesterday another guy stopped by w/ a deer hide he skined. lots of good stuff out there, only problem, I get to much stuff, an have to throw some away. hers one you love. my outher daughter use to breed parekets, ( just remembered) I have a couple of them in the freezer also. if you think thats FUNNY. my outher daughter raises SALTWATER SHARKS. there also is a couple babies in to. that did not live after hatching.

'GOOD LUCK GOOD HUNTING"

Does it have to be a special kind of salt? I am in the process of tannin them your way tight now ( I shot a deer this afternoon and skinned it). I used just normal table salt on it, and was plannin to on monday put the flour and water on it. Do you think this would work? Tight lines and good tyin!-redneck

table salt is fine, Grayson...it's jsut finer than coarse salt...I usually use pickling or canning salt...available at the grocery store or Wal-mart. The key is to just salt it to speed up the drying process....

QUOTE (Big Daddy Hubbard @ Oct 18 2003, 03:01 PM)
ran over a squirrel in the yard this morning....drying him now.....gonna dye it for some nice craw pincers!! LOL

If I hear you coming I had better hide the dogs tongue.gif

hehe looks like some one is picking on you hubbard.gif

you better...I took the tail from a roadkill German Shepard once...great wings on streamers...stiff like bucktail, but flows nicely when wet!!! ( I am so ashamed wink.gif )

thanks to Redneck fisherman for pointing me to this discussion. my garge floor is now saling a small dear pelt and has become a small salt lick for some lucky mouse. If I luck I might end up with that mouse yet. He's been haunting me for over a month now. Wonder if that mouse will salt well.

Chris,

I finally skinned that woodchuck. Got the majority of the meat/fat off, but there were several real thin layers that would have taken the better part of the week to remove. How thorough must one be prior to salting?

Did a rabbit's mask and hide while I was at it and that was a breeze. That 'chuck was one tough customer. bs.gif

Sign in to follow this