Fly Tying
Fred H.

How as a fly tier do you view realistics?

How do you veiw realistics  

571 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For me, Fred, the ultimate form of our fly tying craft is fish-ability. Let me attempt to clarify that. Many times I have seen and or tied flies that another tier has exactly and painstakingly replicated, only to find when both are fished one is hands down more successful at catching fish. That is the highest level for me. Don't get me wrong; I believe any style is fully acceptable, honorable and interesting as long as a hook is employed, (tubes eventually getting one). So, finally a beautifully tied, perfect in every detail Stonefly, an octopus that looks as if it is breathing, a perfect classic salmon fly, and expertly married wing wet fly, a classic old school streamer, a perfectly made Royal coachman, are just a little bit less interesting to me than a softhackle, crab fly, wooly buggar or emerger, etc. that rules the day hook up wise.

Keep up the fine work, Cheers, Jeff.

I think it is another form of tying, but is does require more skill than many others, and I see it as an art form. It's just one of the avenues that "tie for fun" tiers take when they want to do something more than nymphs and dry flies, or for fellers like me who don't fish much.

This thread can continue on but I believe I can see now how realistic tying is viewed. I would like to thank everyone for voting and sharing their opinions in a noncombative way. I often times cannot do this myself. And thanks smalliehunter for giving us a fine venue to discuss our passion for tying.

Fred

fred in my humble opinion Realistic Tyers have taken the art of tying a fly to a whole new level, one that I hope to achieve someday. I see the flies you tie and have to wonder how many fish could pass up a meal like that, especially after seeing my flies :)

Opinions are ok. Just don't post your opinion of another members post. No Arguments or Debates on this thread Please.

Fred

Freds post offend me!!!

I voted art form but I think lot of "fishing flies" are art. I think alot of the warm water flies Im seeing are art.

It's tying. All depends on how much time one has to sit down at the vise. Anyone can do it if they take the time to tie realistics. I'm not great at realistics but can do em if i have the time to burn. I'd rather tie fishing flys myself and fish em.

After Paul Whillock burned me for $2,000 I hate tying realistics. I can't sit down and tie one with out wanting to brass knuckle his face off. My mentor Dale Beamish is sick and fell off the earth so i'll wait until it's time to pick it back up.

Brent

Hey Brent I hope Dale's illness is one he can recover from and that we will get to see his tying again soon. I have not heard anything of him in quite a while. Only spoke to him briefly once on the phone, but he seemed to be a very nice guy and a knowledgeable tyer . His flies are really something to see.

Fred

Hey Brent I hope Dale's illness is one he can recover from and that we will get to see his tying again soon. I have not heard anything of him in quite a while. Only spoke to him briefly once on the phone, but he seemed to be a very nice guy and a knowledgeable tyer . His flies are really something to see.

Fred

Dale was the realistic move. His ties moved my ass! Sucks to see him gone and not on line. That man could tie better than anyone alive. My bad ass collection of his flys assuries me of now short life is. I pray he is doing well.

No comprimise from me, Art form, and is'nt it so , so cool, we are all flyfishers. ya baby.

I believe all flytying is an art form. However, realistics is truely one of the highest forms of of the art!

Hey Seadog,Semper Fi brother. 60-64.

A lot of the realistic I see I would most closely relate to model building. Its cool to look at and takes a great deal of time, effort and skill but at the end of the day its not going to do much tied to the end of your tippet.

Now if you throw fishable realistics in the mix like some of the ostrich herl bumblebees and stoneflies that employ materials that create motion than that is a whole other ball game.

A lot of the realistic I see I would most closely relate to model building. Its cool to look at and takes a great deal of time, effort and skill but at the end of the day its not going to do much tied to the end of your tippet.

Now if you throw fishable realistics in the mix like some of the ostrich herl bumblebees and stoneflies that employ materials that create motion than that is a whole other ball game.

How did you vote ? You don't see just one tiers interpetation .

Fishable realistics is the worst term . I have quit using it. Fishable should be the norm . If you are tying flies it should be the non fishables that have the exception tag. You don't say look at my fishable deerhair bass bug or my fishable wooley bugger. I fish my realistic flies because they are durable and work . Sometimes its overkill; like on gills. But my ants do very well and after a month of constant fishing I'm still catching fish on the first one and it still looks good.

But I would have to agree with the majority if I had to vote on the realistics I've seen posted here.

Fred

I voted lure making or insect replication. I voted this way using the definition of the realistics I see that are made of substances that provide no movement such as epoxy, mono (no fur or feathers). For something like an ant pattern, movement isn't really an issue, but chucking a fixed position epoxy octopus or crawdad in the water isn't going to do much for the fish. You can make a fly look realistic and still maintains its "fishability" if that is even a word, but a lot of the realistics I see look more like models on hooks than fly patterns.

I believe I received one of your epoxy/mono shrimp in a fly swap a year or two back. When I looked at I remember thinking this thing is cool as hell, however I will never fish it because everything on it is in a fixed position. Where as the minnow pattern you tied with the epoxy body and marabou tail gets fished all the time and it catches fish. As you can tell I am a big fan of movement and motion while fishing.

With that said, it doesn't mean I don't admire the patterns that I see, just that I don't see their practicality in the fishing world other than as art.

I voted lure making or insect replication. I voted this way using the definition of the realistics I see that are made of substances that provide no movement such as epoxy, mono (no fur or feathers). For something like an ant pattern, movement isn't really an issue, but chucking a fixed position epoxy octopus or crawdad in the water isn't going to do much for the fish. You can make a fly look realistic and still maintains its "fishability" if that is even a word, but a lot of the realistics I see look more like models on hooks than fly patterns.

I believe I received one of your epoxy/mono shrimp in a fly swap a year or two back. When I looked at I remember thinking this thing is cool as hell, however I will never fish it because everything on it is in a fixed position. Where as the minnow pattern you tied with the epoxy body and marabou tail gets fished all the time and it catches fish. As you can tell I am a big fan of movement and motion while fishing.

With that said, it doesn't mean I don't admire the patterns that I see, just that I don't see their practicality in the fishing world other than as art.

Fair enough . I agree with you . Even with my epoxy shrimp .( which I do not make anymore).When I started I just wanted to make cool things like everyone else. Didn't worry about movement or durability or hook size and placement. Now I try to make the best flies I can and make them as close to the real insect in size , shape and color. Durabilty comes next . They have to be fished without falling apart.Movement will be harder , but it will come with experimentation , new or different materials and techniques. But I now tie with every intention of the fly being fished. My fly's will be flies first. If someone wants to frame it instead of fish it .That's their call. I'm not going to try to create models or glue parts together , they can't be fished.

This is the direction I'm heading . If others chose this path , the next poll might have different results.

Fred