Fly Tying
Fred H.

How as a fly tier do you view realistics?

How do you veiw realistics  

571 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted art form as I am reminded all too often. My brother is a realistic tier (although certainly not as good as Fred and others here), and every holiday it is something like "look at my new siphlonurus aestivalis" and I am "err.....look at my new ragged bit of sheep's wool and copper wire." I have much respect and admiration for anyone who can do this.

Jani

ROFL...

you sound like me showing off my latest hairy lint ball! :lol: Only your's sounds so much more appealing. I will have to work on my presentation. (...and my on-water presentations too, yes! lol)

To me it's just another kind of flytying, just as tying fully dressed salmon flies, pike flies, midge trout flies etc. They are all arts too in my opinion, but I voted for "Just another form of tying like classics"

I think all fly tying is art...I tend to lean towards the impressionism aesthetic, so I like simple, not-so-realistic flies that only hint of a mayfly's form, color, etc.

Let me be honest(my english is not so good). on my opinion is tying a large or huge struggle. what is tying, and what is creating. That is what we all want to achieve, a creature or fly that you want to create. And it is not important iff you want to make a fishie fly or a creature were you put the effort in how far yo can go with your own material. To me i can say that i am in some struggle what can i acchieve with my own material. what do i want???. Is it, look what i made what you can't, or is it: look what i want to share whit anyone who is interrested in my style.

I will give you a example: the mantis. Has nothing to do with flyfishing that is for sure. In the beginning it was over the top, it is not realistic flytying. But when the questions came what kind of materials that the guy uses, there where many tiers who are interrsted in his materials. What he can, I can do better whas the credo.

Please people; it is, and will be always a hobby to me. I know also some people who do not speak to me, because i don't make any bug, mayfly, or stonefly. Yes I create sea horses, has nothing to do with flyfishing, but everything with creating, pleasure, and imagionation. And no one will take this from me what so ever. Do I have to pay the price that i have chosen sea horses;.

There are many people who likes the creatures i've made. And for the people who don't like glue, resin, and other rare materials, how more replys i get(bad ones) the more i will get realistic for the few ones.

martie

I am always surprised that fly tying can have such controversial discussions, is it a fly or is it a lure, are synthetics really true fly tying materials, or is realistic tying really fly tying at all? We all come to fly tying, and fly fishing for that matter, with our own set of standards and self imposed limitations. Many see fly tying as a creative outlet, I think that is great. Personally, I am a professional visual artist, so I don't choose to tie as a creative outlet, but rather as a challenge to design something that will fool a fish, simple as that, [well to be honest fooling a fish turns out not to be all that simple]. Sometimes fooling a fish calls for a realistic pattern, sometimes more of an impressionistic one. They are both equal just different, much like abstract vs. representational art. One isn't right and the other wrong it is purely a matter of preference. Now that being said, one does bring a certain portion of themselves to the vise each time they tie. Carl Richards does not leave his dentistry skills behind each time he ties. And Dave Whitlock and Tim Borski don't tie without the use of their skills as painters. What we bring to the game is what makes each of us who we are. That is one of the reasons I like to find out what tiers do for a living in the "real world". I find it interesting to look at their creations and try and determine how their profession influenced their patterns. Sorry, didn't mean to go on.

Hee samurai,

my english will be very bad, but i will explain what my profession is.

My job is creating flavors and fragrances by the world leader of those materials. My artistic skills came out my family. In my family are well known painters such as willem van dort, this is the time of vincent van gogh was painting in Antwerp. Willem van dort also painted there in the same time as Vincent was there. They met eachother. I have some paintings of Willem sr.

Another member of my family is music director, and his daughter was playing the main roll in tarzan the musical worldwide.

my last name is van den brand(search on internet, if you want) This is the first time that i tell this to others, i am proud for this family. I like to create flies on different ways, to learn what can i do with my chosen materials, and how far can i go in my window screen

thanks and respect for all who like's sharing

To me tying realistic fly is an art that you create starting from the thread on your hook. It is up to individual imagination on how you want to tie the fly or imitate the insects or bait fish or nymphs...so on so forth. It is the way how we look at things and create it out. Individual will have different perception in looking at things. Therefore, this tying realistic fly is an art here as we put in so much effort to make it look so real. :-)

Happy tying!

JC's art of fly...

post-20362-1287995923_thumb.jpg

I would call it a very impressive art form that I really doubt that I would be able to achieve. My hat goes off to those who create these cool realistic looking flies. Even if I were able to pull it off it would be ashamed to throw such a beautiful piece of art into the water to be gulped down by a fish.

I hope it works the translator!!

For me, art is a realistic bound. I think not too distant future, will be otherwise. There are realistic flies that can be fished. Today we might say that "realistic flies, anglers are fishing"

Sergio

New guy checking in on this one.

I am new to this and had not seen this style before. Guessing at the time involved it must be a work of love, or art. I can appreciate it for sure. My fumble fingers will never allow me to attempt anything near this level.

Nice to look at. For those who toil at this there has to be a great deal of satisfaction. Keep posting them and folks like me will be amazed.

I'm relatively new to this site, but have admired Fred's work since I first saw it a year ago. Most fly tying can be considered an art form, and like any form of art there are various degrees of difficulty.

Realistic is indeed much different in style from full dressed Atlantic salmon flies, but both are still art, and both are at the top of the difficulty scale in my opinion. In terms of practicality, it's all relative. A realistic or full dressed salmon fly that took 8 hours (or more) to tie is no less practical than a 3 minute dry fly, as a $1500 hand crafted bamboo rod is over a $50 mass produced graphite rod. Just because it's art doesn't mean it cant be enjoyed and used.