Fly Tying
Joe Hard

Fish Idetification

Daryn, unless I miss my guess, that's an ocean pout. I haven't seen one in years, but that's what they look like. They're fairly common, but there's no commercial interest in them, which probably explains why they're still around.

Looks a lot like the wolf eels I used to come across in the reefs in Monterey Bay.

Oops- my bad! The above comment related to Claudia's pic. I just checked out Joe's pics on the Nova Scotia Fishing site and I'm not so sure that one is an eel. (added June 20)

Edited by rockworm

I wouldn't be surprised if wolf eels and ocean pout are related somehow or other, they look a lot alike. There's also an Atlantic species called a wolf fish, which has a similar build. The chief difference is that a wolf fish will attack you in or out of the water and they have the choppers to get the job done. Nasty critters.

Probably shouldn't post this but my brother said it was a trouser trout. I got a chuckle so hope no one get offended. U gly fish by the way and looks like they are slimey like channel cats in the gulf.