Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Ridleyffo

Saturday Night Fever Whistler

Guest rich mc

cool version, guess that fly is staying alive, staying alive. sorry could pass up a bad pun rich

The name came from the cheek. :whistle: so the name is actually tongue in cheek. Forgive me my ethnic slur but Im permitted, having living with a crazy one for almost five years.

Love the purple color and it's a very nice-looking fly but did you forget the eyes? -- a Whistler has bead-chain eyes right up against the hook eye.

-- Mike

I tied this for a whistler swap as my interpretation. I generally dont weight them for several reasons. I fish these in shallow salt bays and marshes in the salt or in the weeds in the salt and weight is not needed and fishing at night is easier with unweighted flies. Plus I always have luck with them as their tied.

Burple (black and purple) is likely my favorite striper color. then again the best striper fishing is at night.

Great looking fly, and probally one of the most unique striper flies I have seen

Thanks Joe Hard. Maybe I can sell it to Orvis :headbang: It incarnation happened as probably most of us tie. I had a general idea of what I wanted to tie with some techniques or sytles in mind and then let my materials on hand determine the fly.

Although that is not 100% correct. As I was tweaking the fly for the whistler swap and wasnt happy with just the purple schlappen and black saddles, so I ended up going out and spending $55 on the purple grizzly saddle, a purple saddle and a nice black saddle patch.

I use just an estaz head on many striper flies too. try it out!