Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Chenille

Just wondered whats everyones favorite brand of chenille,so many patterns call for it and with salmon season upcoming there will be miles & miles of the stuff used to tie all the Egg Sucking Leeches that we like to use for them.

I've had some brands that i really didnt care for..they just seemed too flat,sparse,or just plain didnt wrap good and looked bad on the fly.

any favorite brand for the stuff?

SD

Not to sure it has a brand name.. but I will only buy it from my local shop.. nice an even dont know where they get it from either..

i have tons of chenille cards from hareline,Inter-Tac(LarvaLace product),Cabelas,Anglers Choice,Spirit River,Rumpf and Hook n Hackle stuff.

Some of the stuff could be better than it is,But i think each company has their own product that's better than others depending on what type of chenille the fly calls for.

For Boogers i'm sold on the 72 yard skeins from Hook N Hackle for $6.80

i just might spend alittle of the B-day $ on 5 more skeins for other colors i already have on cards but not in bulk.

i have 2 skeins of red,black and purple. That's the colors i mostly tie boogers in.

I don't know what brand I use, I buy what is available when I need some. I have to admit that I don't tie that many flies that require it, not a common material in any saltwater flies I use.

Lion Brand either from Hobby Lobby or MNichael's. thre aren't any fly shop0s in Lake Charles, so I haunt hobby and sewing shops fo0r tying materials.

Mark Delaney

I personally like using the Fine Chenilles.

I have found Chenille at Joann's Fabrics, but the stuff that I find there are too heavy for my needs. I just usually pick some up, when I need it, at one of my Flyshops.

I do not know what the Brand Name is on the because they use their own labels on them. unsure.gif

QUOTE (wickedcarpenter @ Aug 8 2004, 12:03 AM)
Bear Coat,
"For every day you fish, you live another day"

i LOVE it!!!!! smile.gif

Thank you WC,

A Doctor Friend of mine gave that to me Many Many Moons ago. wink.gif

The skeins from craft stores work great depending on the size fly you are tying. I think the stuff is Lions Brand. I've noticed that the Lion's Brand Chenille absorbs water better than the standard chenille in fly shops. Also the Lion's Brand does not have the sheen like other types of chenille, but it doesn't seem to detract from it's effectiveness.

I also like the Antron Chenille from Hareline Dubbing Co. 2 turns and you have an egg pattern. Looks great for the head on Egg Sucking Leeches.

Chip

Hi group,

I get most of my chenille from the Danville Co. They make it for many of the distributors mentioned in this post.

Also, one of the posters here mentioned Lyon Brand cheneille which is quite good. But let me give you another "heads up!" The Lyon Brand Homespun Yarn makes the best dry-fly dubbing I've ever used. A 4 foot section (with the cords removed) cut into 1/2 to 1/4 inch pieces and run through a blender makes the equivalent quantity of most packages from a fly shop. The end product is similar to muskrat belly fur with all the guard hairs removed. The color range is pretty incredible just using the different yarns colors and mixing colors makes match many insects really easy. Several friends and I use this dubbing exclusively then comunicate colors to each other using percentages of Lyon colors in relation to the Borger Color System. Take care & ...