Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flydude

Grande creek rewards

Hey everybody i was at grandy creek today fly fishing trying some of my new flies and me and my buddy were walking next to the creek and i saw something green just in the water at a shallow part maybe 2 feet deep if that. I jump down in the water and take it out and to my amazement it was a fly fishing pole with a reel and 50 yards or more of float line. The green i saw was the handle. Had a bunch of sand in the reel so i cleaned it out with break cleaner and then wd 40 and now it works better than when it was brand new. The pole was in good shape just a couple of threads are coming of which is an easy fix. Tell meif you have ever been this lucky and found poles and reels. Roby

post-15915-1247543127_thumb.jpg

post-15915-1247543155_thumb.jpg

post-15915-1247543191_thumb.jpg

Nice It looks in good shape, who knows how long it was there heh? I moved into a new place about a year ago and behind the curtian rod was a fly rod.

Nice It looks in good shape, who knows how long it was there heh? I moved into a new place about a year ago and behind the curtian rod was a fly rod.

Yeah its in real good shape like i said just had to clean the reel. I think when whoever lost it lost it when the water level was way higher it was just real low today. Thats cool about that fly rod of yours was it good? Roby

Hi, Roby. I've never found a fly rod/reel in a river, but I've come within an inch a few times of offering mine up to one (faulty knots, snapped leaders, etc). Someone might have thrown such a hizzy-fit, or for some other reason decided all of a sudden they didn't care for our sport. However, here on the White and Norfork, I've seen guys out in drift boats drop their rods overboard while the River was up. When a rod gets dropped in those deeper strong currents, more times than not, it's a goner. Those Martin 61's are not high-dollar reels ($12 or so), but I'm sure if you wiped it down and oiled the shaft, it'll work just fine. Is there any kind of brand on the rod? Wish I could find a nice Sage combo at the bottom of a river.

Mike

Hi, Roby. I've never found a fly rod/reel in a river, but I've come within an inch a few times of offering mine up to one (faulty knots, snapped leaders, etc). Someone might have thrown such a hizzy-fit, or for some other reason decided all of a sudden they didn't care for our sport. However, here on the White and Norfork, I've seen guys out in drift boats drop their rods overboard while the River was up. When a rod gets dropped in those deeper strong currents, more times than not, it's a goner. Those Martin 61's are not high-dollar reels ($12 or so), but I'm sure if you wiped it down and oiled the shaft, it'll work just fine. Is there any kind of brand on the rod? Wish I could find a nice Sage combo at the bottom of a river.

Mike

That would be awsome to find a sage combo. When i pulled it out there was a sticker and it said it was Okuma rods. The reel is a real cheap one but thats ok for free its awsome. Roby

nice find roby, it kinda looks like my dads old pole

post-22289-1247591811_thumb.jpg

post-22289-1247591869_thumb.jpg

Thats really cool maybe you can use it some day. Roby

The other half sacrificed a $200 spinning rod combo to the water gods a week ago. :wallbash: