Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Threshershark

Creative Hoppers

I like them all but the first is my fav! All look really good!!

I like them all but the first is my fav! All look really good!!

Thanks Lynn, I got fairly unconventional with that first shot and also enjoyed the result.

I agree. That first one is a knockout! What's your photo setup?

Anything specific you're interested in about the setup Chase? I used a trusty Nikon with my Tokina 100mm AT-X ProD macro (a gem). Light source was diffused and quartering from the front rear (hand held). Camera was 'pod mounted with a cable release, and exposure was f/22 at 1 sec. I took a +2 and -2 exposure, and did 3-frame HDR in post processing.

Ok. I use that too but I can't get my HDR's anywhere near as good as some as I have seen. Ive tried 3- and 5- bracketed shots too. Is there any trick to using Photomatix?

There really isn't a secret. The good and bad of Photomatix is the simplicity. There are just a few sliders that do the tone mapping. Unfortunately, those sliders have a giant range of adjustment, and they aren't the only factors either. The images you pick for the inputs matter too. If you use 1-stop exposure differences, you'll get a different look than if you pick the same settings for a series that are 2-stop variations.

One thing that is key though is the tripod. Photomatix will auto-align images, but I've found that the results are pretty poor this way. Starting off with images that were taken from a 'pod with a cable release is a big step in a nice result.

Another point: I'm not sure how to explain this, but a situation has to be HDR-friendly to get a good output. Things with texture like wood, stone, etc. tend to make striking HDR images. Not every scene, and not every photo will yield a good HDR result. I'm very new to this, but after just a few months have found myself looking at a situation and thinking, "This is a good HDR opportunity."

Beyond that it's a matter of making little adjustments in those slider combinations and seeing the results.

Ok i'll try that out and post it up some experiment HDRs tomorrow...i need to figure this out lol.