Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Magnifying lights

Those of you that use these what ones do you use and do you really feel like its something that helps you in your tying alot? dunno.gif

Lately i've been trying new patterns that arent at all small but just trying to get the wraps of the materials like floss and other materials right were i want them is giving me trouble seeing where each wrap is ending to start the next one. (NO OLD JOKES ETHIER wink.gif ) so i have been thinking about checking out some of the mag/lights that are out there. Dont want to spend alot of money on one just what ever i have to on a decent one.

So those of you that use one does it help and does it get in the way at all when tying? also which one do you use?

SD

Steve, bought one about a year ago at office depot...$14 bucks and clamps to your bench. It uses a 40 watt incandescent bulb (flouresents hurt my eyes for close-up work) and it articulates three different ways. It helps quite a bit for 18 & under midges. I mostly use the magnifier for momentary checks. To much eye strain to constantly look through. Works for me. Maybe the better quality ground glass magnifiers will allow one to look through longer dunno.gif I think the office supply type store sell these alot cheaper than the fly shops.

A.A.

I have found that in addition to a good light eye relief is important, sometimes more so than magnifiation. My wife mentioned one day (she is an artist) that maybe a light blue or lime green background would help with eye strain. It works really well I bought a light blue color matting board from our local frame shop. I cut it to size and attached it to the wall behind my tying desk. I now reflect my light off of the backboard and can see what I am doing much better and after hours of tying my eyes aren't feeling "buggy". I have even placed a section of the board on top of my desk. it acts to help keep my desk clean and to increase visability of materials and hooks. these two colors also reflect natural light allowing you to see the color of your fly in a light that is equivelent to the sun rather than a incandescent bulb (which is warmer in tone)

When I'm havin trouble lookin at a fly.. i hold a blank piece of paper behind it.. as for the mag lights, i gave one a try not to long ago, i thought it was handy but does strain the eyes after a short time. Just make sure it swivels.. my father swears by his though bugeyes.gif cheers.gif

I picked up an Ott Flex Arm Plus lamp (18 watt I believe) with magnifier. It is a big thing but I do like it. I don't need to use it all the time, but on smaller flies I can use the help. I like the Ott's 'natural light color', though I can't say that makes a huge difference. The magnifier is on it's own flexible arm, so you can choose to put light on the subject with the magnifier out of the way if desired.

I first tried a cheap Home Depot magnifier light but wasn't satisfied with how loose the thing was - I would set it where I wanted but it would slip, no way to lock it completely in place. The Ott holds position perfectly.

For what it's worth, if purchased in a craft store the light with magnifier will run some $280 or so - the magnifier attachment retails for $99. I found a cheaper route, however: I purchased the light from Dick Blick Art supply (you can find them online) on sale for about half price (they are higher right now) and I found a magnifier attachment on ebay for $15. When I received the magnifier it was missing the lock nut; a call to Ott and they sent one to me for free. Great customer service! I think I spent about $100 total for everything, so I feel like I got a good deal, but I did search for awhile first.

Barry

I have been using a magnifying light for several years now and would be hard pressed to tie flies or wrap rods without it. I used one of the cheaper ($50) brands of lights with the circular lamp and magnifier for a few years. While the light worked okay, the extension arm would never stay put. It would either lurch up or down or even worse, "creep" up or down so slowly that I'd find myself hunched down with a neck or back ache without ever noticing it moving. I finally switched over to a Luxo light with a different extension arm system and what a difference. It stays put and is a real quality product. For the retail prices they ask, it should do all those things, but I got mine on Ebay for about 65% off. Great lights and well worth the investment since it adds so much enjoyment to my tying and rod building. This is one of those things that when you finally need it, don't go cheap, you'll regret it.

Jim Smith

I have one. I don't have an ott light, but when I bought a bulb for mine, I used one of those "natural light" flourscents. Works really good. But I never use the magnifyer. But I don't tie flies below a size 10 anyways. So never use the magnifyer at all. I would like to get an ott light eventually. But for now, my old swingarm will work fine (bought mine off ebay several years ago for about $12 shipped to my door). Has worked fine, but would like a better quality light (the whole thing is just cheap, but does the job).