Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
geozip

Freshwater Salmon Flies

I hope they can cut it with the talent in this swap its the first time that i have attempted to tye salmon flies

kevin

not sure of the rest of the guys..........I assure you, my pattern isn't a fancy one from the west coast..... the fly I sent in for the swap was in the works for a few years............I got tired of tying up intricate stonefly patterns for salmon fishing and have them look like crud after 1 or 2 fish............I developed my Death Stonefly for the Salmon running in Lake Ontario Tributaries........mostly the Salmon River............it is big, not too flashy, with the materials used--it is pretty durable..........I wanted something simple in design, yet effective..........this is the fly I came up with........you can tweek it any way you want....... add legs, antennae etc.......I have pics on my website of the fly, in different color schemes............I have learned over the years to try to keep the patterns to a minimum but the colors, the colors need to be everywhere............so, I generally pick a handfull of reliable patterns and tie that pattern in a few different colors.............I try to stick with the same premise for steelhead.........different sizes too......

I used to waste plenty of time onthewater trying to decide what fly to use..........so many different ones in my box...now, just a few patterns that I know will produce--just in plenty of colors.........you need to have confidence in your fly

I have received flies from:

Bulldog5485!! Great fly!! Thanks for the extra's!!

2Bonthewater!! Great fly also!! Thanks for the extras!!

geo :rolleyes:

I guess you noticed that i changed from a Comet.. The fly i sent is called a Orange Floozy and it accounted for 95 % of all the fish i caught last 5 days.. so i know it works!!