Fly Tying
Arkman

My first streamers

I haven't really tied for about 10 years and I've never really done anything other then simple trout flies. This week I decided to tie some bigger streamers. Here is a look at a few. Let me know your thoughts.

IMG_2380.jpg

IMG_2387.jpg

IMG_2389.jpg

IMG_2392.jpg

IMG_2395.jpg

IMG_2397.jpg

IMG_2398.jpg

IMG_2400.jpg

IMG_2402.jpg

IMG_2404.jpg

IMG_2406.jpg

IMG_2408.jpg

IMG_2412.jpg

IMG_2413.jpg

IMG_2415.jpg

IMG_2416.jpg

IMG_2421.jpg

IMG_2424.jpg

IMG_2426.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. I struggle with the heads. I cant get the hair down very well without a bigger head. I think I also make it a bit too thick by wrapping it too many times.

Thanks again!

Very, very, nice. However, just to add a bit of constructive critisism, I'd say try to make a smaller head.

Very nicely done, good work on the photography too, The drift wood really sets them off!

Like you, I have trouble with making the heads to big, seems to be a common fault with beginners. Hopefully it will get easier!

The Cubicle head? You mean the orange one? I decided to try a foam popper too. More of those are next on my list to try.

I really like the one above the one with the cubicle head :P

Thanks for the feedback. I struggle with the heads. I cant get the hair down very well without a bigger head. I think I also make it a bit too thick by wrapping it too many times.

Very, very, nice. However, just to add a bit of constructive critisism, I'd say try to make a smaller head.

Hi, Arkman. Those are good. I hesitate to suggest anything, seeing as there are guys on here that can tie far better streamers than I can, but as far as the heads go...after tying the hair in, try trimming the butts at a gradual angle, sloping down towards the eye. Raise your hair butts up slightly off the shank, just enough to slip your scissors blades around them. You can control the angle of the cut by positioning your scissors differently. I try to keep my scissors pretty much parallel to the shank as I make the cut. You won't have that steep ledge you have when you cut the butts square and you'll be able to make a smaller, smooth tapered head. It helps if you have a good pair of serrated scissors.

Here's an example someone did on a Mickey Finn.

P2020034.JPG

Mike

small tight thread heads on bucktails come with practice. Keep in mind, there are situations where you WANT a larger head- especially if you decide to paint eyes. Nothing wrong with your ties, they will all catch fish. Compare a "large" fly head with a small jig head used by spin fishermen... jigs catch tons and tons and tons of fish, so the fish don't care about the head.

It took me a long time to get to where my bucktail heads are about the size I think they should be. Perhaps the most important thing on average, that I found for myself, is to use a little bit less hair than I think I should. Unless making a very full, heavy bucktail, a little less hair works great. Also, MAXIMUM tension on the thread after your initial gathering wraps, and use only enough wraps to hold the hair securely. I've pretty much gone to using 6/0 (70 denier) thread for all but the biggest saltwater bucktails I tie. I usually dab a little head cement on the butt ends of the hair as I'm tying it in.

A great tip I learned from watching Lefty Kreh, is to measure and trim your bucktail BEFORE tying it in. For many years I normally would tie in the hair with a several wraps, then try to trim it. That usually led to a "step" that I had to build up and overcome with thread, which did nothing but add size to the head. Not to mention that cutting the hair after partially tying it in always tweaked the wing in some way I didn't want.

All are fish catchers and look good. The only additional advice I would give for improving you head would be to really know where your thread breaking tension is and tie just below it. This means you will occasionally snap your thread, just clip a pair of hackle pliers on the broken tag to keep the pressure on, rethread your bobbin and tie it back on... no big deal. Also if you feel uncomfortable using less wraps throw a dab of super glue on once in a while.

I really like the color combos.

Greg