Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fred H.

Sili Shad step by step

This is a good shad immitation that I fish alot in saltwater. To date I have landed over two dozen saltwater species with it.This pattern can be altered easily to match any shad species that may be plentiful in your area.The link below will take you to a simple easy to follow step by step.

http://www.realisticflytying.net/id21.html

post-11886-1252244052_thumb.jpg

Thanks for share with us this step by step, looks like a killer, wonder if I can replace the sili skin with another "looks like" material, here in my country the sili skin its hard to find.

Great fly Fred

I have used the shiney metal duct tape as a substitute for the main body and white marabu for the tail.

Thanks dronlee and tequilatrout. Fred

Good Day,

Good stuff Fred!

Also, one could look for a product called Crystal Skin. Very similar to Sili Skin, but a bit easier to use, and different thicknesses, in a range of colors too. Worth checking out, I think it is also less expensive than Sili Skin if I remember correctly...

Steelie

Hey steelie thanks for the Crystal skin advice . The price of sili skin is a drawback for this pattern in my eyes.

I have also use silver metal duct tape as a substitute. It dosent have the same movement in the water as sili skin

but you can buy a lifetime supply of it for the price of one package of sili skin.

Fred

Hey steelie thanks for the Crystal skin advice . The price of sili skin is a drawback for this pattern in my eyes.

I have also use silver metal duct tape as a substitute. It dosent have the same movement in the water as sili skin

but you can buy a lifetime supply of it for the price of one package of sili skin.

Fred

Good Day,

Hey Fred! I am pretty sure J Stockard stocks Crystal Skin.

Steelie