Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
roberts5

midge

i am starting to tie my midge and i have all the bacis patterns down i was just wondering if anyone had any new patterns i can use...

Being the soft hackle fanatic I am...I never go to a midge hatch without my favorite weapon...The Reid's Assassin

post-13329-1253231072_thumb.jpg

Black thread body

Red wool tail

Silver rib

Starling hackle

Very easy tie. Not a new pattern...in fact quite the opposite, but well proven.

Check out the new book by Rick Takahashi and Jerry Hubka Modern Midges! The book is a must for anyone tying midges. You can get it at Amazon.com pretty cheaply.

Tight Threads!

Old Hat sir,if I may ask, What size hook are you using on your fly? I really like the fly,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,B,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Old Hat sir,if I may ask, What size hook are you using on your fly? I really like the fly,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,B,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

That hook is a size #16 Knapek dry hook. Which is actually about an#18-#20 on most hooks. They run a little small. I normally tie this on a #18-#20. With soft hackle midge patterns I like to adjust the size of the tie to the insect size but go with a little larger hook (I think it gives me better hookups and sinks the fly a bit easier. Being that you are subsurface with this fly you can go a little larger than a lot of the #22-#26 most midge dries seem to be. I've never gone smaller than a #20 with this pattern and most often tie it on an #18. I will normally use Griffith's 14/0 thread for these. Another option is to drop the tail, and go with a reall dark red thread. Works well too.

tie some 28-32 cdc and thread up right wing.Killer midge fish taker and easty tie.

shane