Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Horseshoes

Spey and Shrimp Swap

cencalfly Thanks for the update, info and picture. Your fly WOW!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: They look fantastic. Check it out everybody.

Just waiting on the postal for more goodies. If you don't have a picture, no sweat I'll post one for you.

yellow bomber Your flies have arrived. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: WoW.

Front post edited and updated, everybody checkout yellow bombers' fly. Looking good people. Thanks for the gifts. A-1. OK

Great to hear they arrived and glad you liked em, Horseshoes! They were great fun to tie and will definitely be tried out next summer. Sorry for the lack of communication on this one, fellas. Everythings back to normal now and i'll be able to spend some much needed time on this site again.

Great lookin ties and photo's, thanks for hosting :cheers:

To all:

It has been said that confession is good for the soul. We shall see. This has been the toughest pattern I have tried yet. I have every book in the library on spey and Salmon flies. In the past month I have cut apart dozens of attempts for various reasons. Even though I haven't tied a spey pattern before, I figured I would be able to work it out with some reasonable level of effort. NOT SO! :wallbash: It went something like this:

First: Getting materials and sorting out what I really need.

Second: Work out all the proportions.

Third: Try wrapping a body. Go back to first step.

Try wrapping a body with new wool.

Try wrapping tinsel and "thread" (fine tinsel) Ribbing. Go back to first step.

Try wrapping tinsel and ex small wire.

Fourth: Try selecting and prepping spey hackle. ( Stripping barbs off stem. Soaked and unsoaked.)

Try another way to prepare spey hackle. (Slicing stem in half to reduce volume)

Fifth: Try wrapping body, ribs and hackle.

Try again with the hackle facing the other way.

Try positioning the hackle one third of the way forward. Try again almost all the way back. Go back to first step.

Sixth: Try wrapping an underbody of floss and with a different technique on the body and Palmer ribs.

Seventh: Try wrapping body etc. Try setting mallard wings. Try again, try again, try again......( Cut and set)

Try new way to set wings. (cut , tie, and set) Try again, try again, try again.

Try new way to set wings. (Cut with stem and set)

And finally, Try again after turning them over!!!

Any way I have the pattern just about worked out. However, I don't have the right hackle to get it right. I ordered $50 bucks worth this afternoon. It should be here tomorrow or Friday. I would like to finish the swap. I will probably need until Monday to get the flies in the mail. i am willing to drive up to bc to get them there faster.

Let me know what you all think. I am sorry about the delay but I wanted to get a batch done as good as the ones I have seen in the swap so far.

Frank aka Student4evr

This was an early version and the second is the last body I did before I gave up on the goose hackle.

post-12269-1259131146_thumb.jpg

post-12269-1259131172_thumb.jpg

Hey Frank have you tried burning some hackle? try it, I did and it makes beautiful spey hackles. it was in last years Hatches I do believe. you swish the feathers in undiluted household bleach. the trick is to pull it out at the right time. I remember it has something to do with when the feather separates, the quills lose their self adhesive properties and at that point you pull em out and rinse them thoroughly under cool water. blot dry and blow dry on low with no heat. the heat in rinsing or drying might damage the feather due to the bleach factor. I have some really beautiful schlappen and marabou feather that i have burned for spey hackles

Frank I've never done one but Rocky did send me a very detailed step by step for a durham ranger. See if he has one for speys. I think driving up to BC is an excuse to fish for those BC steels. Hmmmm Anyways US mail is always faster and cheaper than up here.

ian

OK I want a count down from everyone. Post and say yea or nay about waiting, I'm ok if you all are OK. Either way it is your call.

Frank, your first attempt you have a problem with is way better than my finished product ( and I'm proud of my little messes) :crutch: . Either way they are looking great. I've never tied them before (as you can tell) but that is what this is all about. Just giving everyone an opportunity to try without judgement and to have encouragement in the #%^$#^& :crazy: effort of doing so. :hyst:

Give a post everyone.... :coffee:

No problems with waiting from me, thats for sure. Don't get flipped out Frank, any fly i've seen that you've tied have been beauty's, you'll pull this one off too.

Cheers

Chuckingfluff, I'd be interested in that step by step if you still have it kickin around.

YES !!!! Flies came in and first post is edited.

Txflytier your flies came in on Thursday Nov 26. Nice Job!!!!! Check out the picture I posted. Hope it is OK.

Cencalfly they have arrived safely today Nov 30 and better than your picture. Thanks for everything. WOW is all I can say.

Everybody check them out... Just waiting on Chucking Fluff and Student4evr, you guys are putting me to shame. What a fantastic swap so far.

Time for a status report:

As always: bad news, good news. ^_^

I spent a couple of days getting through whatever bug was going by.

I have worked out the details on this pattern!!!

I have three done and the rest will be done and in the mail by the end of the week.

I will need to do extra coats to finish the head.

I will add a little something for all your stockings for putting up with my tardiness!!

Horseshoes

Thank you for giving me a chance to move my tying to the next level.

Some time I should tell you about my grad school breaks in Parsboro. Great people, Great food.

Here are the current versions of the joke:

Frank aka Student4evr

post-12269-1259833789_thumb.jpg

post-12269-1259833825_thumb.jpg