Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JSzymczyk

Hooks on e-bay

Outstanding Day 5 :thumbup:

I felt like buying a pack and then leaving some truth as feedback. By by 100%.

I am having the same thought...

I sent him this message. Sorry Im a bit more direct

thoes look just like some hooks that my buddy Joel was selling! DOES HE KNOW YOU GRANDPA?

laughing my ass off!!! broke n hand and all you know how to make a guy laugh.

BTW, the hooks are forged, 100% certain of that.

It's hard to tell from a picture which manufacturer made the hook. The finish color will vary, even with new hooks, and they're much more consistent now than they were years ago. Both Mustad & EC made, and still make fly hooks in different configurations. It's possible that both could have made a very similar dry fly hook. I have some Japanese made hooks that match Mustad hooks I have perfectly in style & shape, so that's not a positive indicator either. I know where they came from because I got them direct from the respective manufacturers.

One note, and I can't be 100% positive because Mustad made so many different hooks, the Mustad dry fly hooks that I've seen have all been forged. This means the shank & bend had a flat side. The picture appears to indicate that hook is not forged, as the wire is round. Although it's possible that it's not a dry fly hook, but instead a nymph/wet fly hook, which may or may not be forged. In size 16 it's hard to tell.

The story about the internal packages is IMO bull. Mustad's hook boxes have always been well marked, even to the point of elaborate on the early paper boxes. It makes no sense to me that they would have had "internal" boxes. Even when I've received samples from Mustad, when I tied commercially, the box or plastic bag had a Mustad logo on it!

On the other hand, EC bulk boxes have always been simple, and plainly marked.

I have a bulk box of EC "Billy Pate Tarpon Hooks" which are marked exactly as the boxes shown in the ebay link. I have several boxes of EC jig hooks that are marked exactly as the pictured boxes as well.

Again, makes no sense that Mustad would have marked their boxes in the same manner as EC.

Either way, makes no difference. The guys price for the hooks is fair, for Mustad or EC. I don't understand why he felt he had to make up such a story, but some folks are like that I guess. :dunno:

The old man who used to run a local fly-shop here would order both the bulk boxes and regular 100pc boxes. The small card boxes were very clearly printed with the M logo (and designs) and then typed out size and style. The large boxes would vary with some being just white outer, printed logo and a very few had a sticker logo...but all would be clearly typed out style and size. He would always break down the large boxes and sell them for almost half price to those smart enough to ask or the few he liked a lot. The eagle claw boxes always used yellow tissue paper inside them...i have no idea why...and most would have a plastic logo sticker that usually fell off in a couple of months...and i can't remember who it was that always used blue ink for typed info??? And yet another supplier would always use blue tissue paper, but i don't remember who that was either.

But no matter what, this guy's stories are what makes ebay such a bad place to deal with...you never know what they are making-up on the fly...so to speak.

I LOVE this game you are playing on him. If you are 100% certain that you are right, he deserves it...and more.

the boxes had white tissue paper.

100%, without a shadow of a doubt, certain what is in the pic on ebay are the articles he bought from me. His name on ebay is the same as his email.

again, just to be clear, I have absolutely no prob with him reselling the hooks for as much as he can get.

I just don't agree with the whole dead Grandfather BS.

If I had the time or desire, I would have sold them by the hundred too.

I sent him this message. Sorry Im a bit more direct

thoes look just like some hooks that my buddy Joel was selling! DOES HE KNOW YOU GRANDPA?

47b20s0.gif25r30wi.gif

He offers a 7 day return policy, don't forget to return them after you leave the feedback. :lol2:

Outstanding Day 5 :thumbup:

I felt like buying a pack and then leaving some truth as feedback. By by 100%.

I am having the same thought...

I'm down. Think I'll pick up a pack. :ph34r: update -done deal

I just read this from another forum.

Rick DeMars Jr. of Vestal NY passed away while fishing on the Salmon River on Thursday November 19, 2009.

Regards,

Mark

not trying to offend but what is the deal mustad's" suck in my oppinion WHY?

not sure what you are asking... why what?

I just read this from another forum.

Rick DeMars Jr. of Vestal NY passed away while fishing on the Salmon River on Thursday November 19, 2009.

Regards,

Mark

Kinda takes the fun out of this thread! 306.gif

When he gets wherever he's going, I hope his grandpa doesn't kick his ass for fibbing about him and those hooks!!hanghead.gif

Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought the guy was dishonest but I wouldn't have wished this on him. Age 40!

That sucks. I lost a friend of mine on friday that I fished with and he was only 40. Lifes getting to damn short, enjoy it as much as you can.