Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
smallieFanatic

Aquariums

A good buddy of mine into aquaculture wanted to try keeping trout. We got an old wall-mounted water drinking water fountain and gutted it for the cooling apparatus. He's single, so no wife to veto having this stuff in the living room and kitchen... He had a 70 gallon long tank and rigged it with an external filter, and somehow had it set up so there was constantly some current flow from one end to the other. We took about two weeks of BSing around to get things just right but had the temp stabilized at 60 befor putting a trout in it. We also got some crayfish and shiners. There was 3 small streams nearby so once a week at least we'd seine up a bunch of nymphs and keep dumping them in the tank. He had 3 trout, the original brown and two rainbows, for a year and a half when I moved away. So yes, it certainly can be done if someone wants to put forth the effort. It took a lot of work.

Now, I just play FishVille on Facebook....

I have 10 tanks set up - use to raise cichlids from lake Tanganyika, now I raise Bettas.

faranth5640.jpg

I kind of inherited my daughter's aquarium when she moved to Nashville to go to school. Said she didn't want it anymore. There are two large Angel Fish in at as well as two smaller fish. I don't know a lot about it but it's cool to look at.

?????????? are you saying brownies will last??

As soon as they are 12 - 15 inches they are taken away tagged and put into a lake. This year I have browns, last year rainbows, and the year before brooks. Next year I want to get Tiger Trout or a hybrid of some sort.

Guys , what temp would the tank have to be kept to keep coldwater fish such as trout. They just started a stocking program down here in the winter with bows, but they have to restock every year because they die off in the summer.

Its easy to warm a tank but how would you refrigerate it?

Fred

60 F. To keep it cold I rely on a cooling ball and the circulation of the water of the tank. The one thing about trout is 1. You need a good filter. With out a good the filter the water becomes murky and oxygen levels will be unstable. 2. Oxygen levels. I use air stones and filter which usually controls the levels.

As JSzymczyk said it takes a lot of work. Best thing is feeding them live insects and bloodworms.

Sorry it took so long, here is mine. It is only a 10 gallon but I am upgrading to one twice its size very soon. The bluegill died but there is still a juvenile Smallmouth bass and a brown bullhead. The Bullhead is inside the cave, the Smallie is the large one on the right. There is also a Skirt Tetra and a Blind Cave Fish.

Tank2.jpg

I really wanted to get into this aquarium thing but i dont have the money. Fly fishing and fly tying take up most of my money and the rest goes to like rock climbing! something to occupy the winter months and summer days when i cant fish

I used to have a Saltwater Aquarium setup,also a fresh water tank. Now i just have a Gold Fish in a Bowl who watches over my Fly Tying Station when I'm not home.