Fly Tying
stillfishin

best Hackle Pliers?

I'm sick of plier's slipping off. So my question is , who makes the plier's with the most grip?

Have you tried putting some heat shrink tubing on the ends, you can get some rubberized stuff that prevents tat happening,

Steve

(fly tryer)

2.5 Artery Clamp

I use this for everything, from starling to rooster, midge to bugger. I would be lost without it. I have tried so many others and none have come close and everyone I turned on to this has not turn back.

artery.jpg

Joe Fox

2.5 Artery Clamp

I use this for everything, from starling to rooster, midge to bugger. I would be lost without it. I have tried so many others and none have come close and everyone I turned on to this has not turn back.

artery.jpg

Joe Fox

If I only knew someone in the medical field. To bad you can't just buy those off the shelf. <_<

I find most pliers need a bit of adjusting. Often the jaws don't come together very well. And the tension is usually too great. Those artery clamps, however, look like they would be perfect out of the box.

I use plain old English hackle pliers and the

E-Z mini hackle pliers. I have a pair of Tiemco

hackle pliers with the protective rubber pad, but

they do not grip as well as the simple English.

I'd like to try out the C&F's. Those artery clamps

look as though they'd work very well.

Mike

I use a cheapo that I picked up in a fly shop years ago. I have shrink wrap on it to hold better, otherwise it is useless. The artery clamp is nice except it doesn't have a ring on the back which I use to guide the hackle. If anyone wants artery clamps artery clamp on ebay

Depends on what you're trying to hold. 'Cuz no one set of pliers will do it all.

As I tend to use my hackle pliers on smaller, "softer" items, such as philo feathers (i.e. aftershaft feathers), I prefer Dorin teardrop hackle pliers and small English hackle pliers.

just give less tension on those feathers! be delicate with your flies... my pliers have too much grip on them and the stems of my feathers rip out sometimes..

I just got Dr.Slicks and am super happy with them they seem to hold very well and for 6 bucks Canadian it's tough to complain. I gave blood this week and they had forceps made from plastic that they used to tie off the bags. They also looked like they would be handy next time i'm in i will be leaving with a pair for sure.