Fly Tying
flygirl

Jack Gartside rip

apparently Jack Gartside has lost his battle with cancer yesterday. He was always a pleasure to watch at the Somerset show with his great sense of humour.

He was known for his 'Gurgler', ' Sparrow ' patterns , among others.

Condolences to his family & those who knew him

Too bad, He was a great guy who was willing to share with anyone who asked. My condolences to his family & friends as well.

It really is bad news, he was a great fisherman and a fantastic fly tyer who I had the privilege of tying with and spending some time with throughout the years, definately a big loss

This is sad news, I had known he had been sick for a while. I first met Jack 15 years ago when I moved to the Boston area and was looking to get involved with the tying/fishing community. I remember stepping outside to smoke with him and chatting, I quit smoking 10 years ago. I still tie many of his flies and his techniques influence my tying. Oh well, ashes to ashes.. etc

RIP

A hugh loss to the fly fishing community. When I heard I printed off a bunch of his articles from his site. If you dont' have a printed copy of his use of pheasant feathers I'd get one printed it's invaluable!!!!!! My condolences to his family.

Fatman

This is very sad news! One of the first flies I learned to tie and actually catch fish on was the Gartside Hopper! We've lost a great man. You should read his Yucatan Chicken Dinner article if it is still up on his website. A funny, funny story by a fun loving gentleman!!

I never met Mr. Gartside, but his flies have been an inspiration for a long time. I became interested in his patterns after being introduced to his Gurgler fly. I tyed some up and took them out fishing. It was a hoot watching the smallmouth bass come to the surface to smash these flies. I also loved his ideas about large soft hackle flies. His "Fish Finder" pattern looks incredibly seductive under water.

I am saddened to hear of his passing, and express my condolences to his family and friends. Hopefully they can take comfort in knowing that he lives on this the fly patterns he created and shared with us all.