Fly Tying
the saltydog

Jack Gartside Memorial Swap

I have been practicing tying the softhackle streamer but just can't seem to get the mallard flank to wrap the way Jack did. When you wrap that do you fold the barbs towards the hook eye under the feather towards the tail? Appreciate any input on that. Luckily thats not what I am tying for the swap. Almost done with my sparrows and will need a mailing address too.

Tie the feather in by the tip, then hold the feather up and tight and stroke the barbs back towards the bend and then start to wrap while continuing to stroke the barbs back as you are wrapping. Usually 2 wraps will do it.

Thanks I appreciate the tip. I was going by Jacks instructions and I thought his method was to tie in by the butt which might explain why I am having trouble.

Thanks I appreciate the tip. I was going by Jacks instructions and I thought his method was to tie in by the butt which might explain why I am having trouble.

It does say that and it is what I did and it is not easy nor pretty on the wrap but I did get them to lie fairly well. You mean I wasn't suppose to do it that way? :hyst:

I tied three of the pheasant hoppers over the weekend (depsite 23 inches of snow in media including snow blowing my house, two duplexes we have, and my parents house NE philly) I even earned $160 after I finished the duplexes as people were begging me to do their drives and sideswalks. 4 houses at 40 bucks each and done in about 2 hours. I could have made a bundle but had to head up to my parents house.

It was fun out in the Titan though laughing and all the dipshits.

These hopper flys are really cool. The first two have obvious problems with the spun heads and wont be making it the dance. They are relegated to the ugly girl bench in my fly box. But the Third. Wow does that look good. I still think these heads are tricky because you are not really spinning on a bare shank. I think stacking is the key here. I liked them so much I had to stop at the fly shop to show it off. They actually asked me to tie in the shop in the coming year when they have saturday promotions. I was a bit suprised as although Im pleased with my flys and 2 years of progress, there are so many great tyers that I worry mine will look they belong on the ugly girl bench.

It does say that and it is what I did and it is not easy nor pretty on the wrap but I did get them to lie fairly well. You mean I wasn't suppose to do it that way? :hyst:

When we tied them together 15 years ago, we tied them in by the tip.

OK folks -

Here is the latest status below, I was a bit frantic at work due to budget season and thus my organization of this swap suffered - we are back on track. I believe that all who requested my addy have gotten it, if not let me know. Sully your set came today and looks great, thanks for the extras.

1. Saltydog - orange chickaboo caddis

2. Flygirl - Gurgler - Addy sent

3. SullyTM - Secret Wooly Bugger - Rec'd

4. Aroostookbasser - Gartside frog - Addy sent

5. BC_angler - sparrow variant

6. Horseshoes - skinny minnie - Addy sent

7. RichMc - ultimate worm

8. Student4vr - Garthside Bass Bug

9. patrick carroll - Gurgler - Addy sent

10. Ridleyffo - Gartside Pheasant Hopper

11. vtflyhack - Wet mouse

12. Professori - Secret Soft Hackle Wet Fly - Addy sent

13. Jeffsod - sparrow - Addy sent

I may have a delay. I ordered some GSS for the pattern from Jack's website and I just had the charge disappear from my credit card. :dunno: When I called the number on my receipt it was disconnected! Does anyone know what happened? It's possible that without Jack, there will be no business but I would like to find out for sure.

Frank aka Student4evr

I did exactly the same thing, ordered GSS, and the same thing happened. I substituted with Arizona simi seal canadian black (I think), It has lots of color, like GSS appeared to.

Jack filled the orders for his website himself and since he has departed the orders won't get filled. His good friend Mike Quigley who mantains the website had let me know after I emailed him that he was cancelling orders as I had an outstanding order too. Scott at the Bears Den Fly shop in Taunton MA knew Jack pretty well and might be able to help with the Gartside Secret stuff.

Gary:

OK where do you get it? :help:

After the new year why don't we get together for a cup of coffee?

Frank aka Student4evr

Gary:

OK where do you get it? :help:

After the new year why don't we get together for a cup of coffee?

Frank aka Student4evr

Sounds good to me, lets meet at Tully's! :bugeyes:

I wish that Tully's would come east, I love that coffee.