Fly Tying
jmeyerc

Renzetti vises - advice needed please

I have just recently (yesterday - Saturday 19th dec) won a bidding war on TradeMe for a traveller Renzetti ,and I picked it up and have used it with loving care.

does anyone know much about these vises? I need to know how to take care of it, to keep it working properly and smoothly for a long long time as it wasn't cheap.

Does it need oiling? etc any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

Jeanne

I have a renzetti traveler vise. No oiling needed in my opinion. At least I haven't had to yet. Theres really not too much maintenence that goes along with the vice. Just make sure you don't overtighten or stress things too much and you should be all set. These are durable vises, it should be tough to mess it up.

If you travel with it, and use it outside much, then cleaning is sometimes a good ides. I would travel with mine while fishing, and tie in camp. After a summer of this, I would take the vise apart and wipe down all the parts with a soft cloth. The delrin washers and bushings don't need oil or grease. Mine servered me well for 20 plus years and is still going strong.

Hi Jeanne,

I have two travellers that have been going strong for 15 yrs. No special maintenance required. I did pick up a couple of o-rings at the hardware store as spares for the jaws but never have had to use them. Hope you enjoy tying on it!

Tim

Moscow, Idaho

I brush mine off with a toothbrush every once and a while and about once a year just wipe it down with a very small amount of silicone protectant. I also, about once a year, polish my vises with a paste polisher...just for looks though.

I use a small amont of light oil in the main frame where the shaft rotates, the newest models have a adjustable tension screw, take it out and lube lightly.

Next suggeston is to purchase a silicone wiping cloth, the type used for firearms. Wipe down the steel jaws and frame every few weeks.

Regards,

FK

Thanks so much everyone, I have a couple more questions I hope you can answer for me - This traveller I have is a few years old, it is solid metal except for about 3 - 4 screws which look like nylon or plastic. It is good to know that they are really hardy vises.

Can the Traveller take commercial fly tying? I now also have a older Danvise as well and wonder which one of them will stand up to the "crunch" better. Someone said that they changed the standard jaws with a cam set - what are these and are they expensive and where would I get them from?

I also tie Saltwater flies as well for a local shop, will the Traveller handle these? Or do you think I should use the Danvise for that?

You guys, thanks again for answering and have a really wicked Christmas won't you.

Jeanne