Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Barbless

Greetings Earthlings

headbang.gif Hello i am new to this forum. I live in Los Angeles, California and tie most of my own flies. I took a flytying class once and enjoy drinking beers and tying one on with my old lady who is also a fly fisher. Actually we are both in our early 30s but i just like calling her my "old lady." Fishing is pretty lame around here so we try to squeeze as much enjoyment out of it as possible by tinkering around with our equipment or tying flies. I generally use a 3 weight rod and recently we are trying to get into surf fly fishing. Anyway, nice to be here and i just wanted to say "hi."

Hi, Barb! Welcome to the forum. TB here from sunny Florida, I do a lot of surf fishing, so if you need any tips, don't hesitate to ask. By the way, that 3 wt. ain't gonna work in the salt. biggrin.gif

Welcome Barbless

Sounds like a pretty cool set-up. I wish I could get my wife interested.

Jump right in, the water's nice. smile.gif

Nice to have you onboard Barbless.

I have to echo Shoe's sentiment. I'm jealous also. I wish I could get by better half interested in fly fishing and tying. Maybe when she finally decides to retire she'll have some time on her hands and decide to give it a try.

Hope to hear more from the left coast.

D. Waterflogger

Barbless welcome to the site i'm sure you will find lots on this site to keep you interested while the fishing isnt so hot. Plus remember the motto....have fly rod will travel biggrin.gif if the fishin aint very good around the LA area you have some good spots in nieghboring states out there!

SD cool.gif

rolleyes.gif I want to thank you all for responding to my posting......i just bought a new salt rod and reel and tied my first salt fly...........a mole (sand) crab........it kinda looks like a mini gray football with a bright orange butt..........but hey......not bad for a first try. If i were a fish i wouldnt think twice about scarfing it down...'specially if i was starvin' Anyways, does anyone have any good sand-crab patterns? Glad to hear from you all, greetings from smoggy California, talk to you soon. ~Barbless and wife

Howdy barbless!

Check out striblues crab fly in the database here. It's amazing!

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=236 Oops, not in the database, but good all the same.

Hey with you being all coastal and everything, if I send you a few of these http://flytyingforum.com/index.php?act=flyshow&s=&showid=100 would you let me know if they work? They are fine here on trout, but since I created it to imitate shrimp, I'd like to know if they work where there actuall are shrimp.

Barbless,

i don't believe that shit about the fishing be lame. CA is one of the hottest spots for big largemouths any where in the world...you just gotta get outta "Hollyweird" and scout the water!!! Great to have you aboard! Jump in the drink and hang on, the currents move pretty fast 'round here!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif