Fly Tying
JSzymczyk

I can almost tie a fly!!!

managed to pick up a few small objects today with my THUMB and index finger, for the first time in over 6 weeks!! Hurt like hell, but it's a start. Merry Christmas!

Usually if you are dealing with post-surgery, trauma, arthritis and things of that nature, the only thing that will eventually stop the hurting is exercise, so keep picking things up even though it hurts and start tying flies. If you stop, everything gets stiff and/or arthritic, and you can't do anything. Hot water soaks help a lot usually.

What happened?

Ray

Glad to hear you're starting on the road to recovery there Joel, do like Ray says and keep at it through the pain....and stay off them scooters...didn't yer momma ever tell ya they're dangerous?!?!? (Mine sure did...over and over and over and....you get the idea) :hyst:

I just went through this myself this past month due to an injury to both hands. working with a soft nerf ball I had, using it to exercise my grip, it work wonders for me. Both thumbs where very painful for awhile but slowly starting to get back some usage again. There isn't a whole lot one can do without your thumbs!

Mike

Good luck with your recovery. I've been there and know what your going through. All the best in 2010.

Dave

Usually if you are dealing with post-surgery, trauma, arthritis and things of that nature, the only thing that will eventually stop the hurting is exercise, so keep picking things up even though it hurts and start tying flies. If you stop, everything gets stiff and/or arthritic, and you can't do anything. Hot water soaks help a lot usually.

What happened?

Ray

broke the metacarpal that belongs to my left thumb, right where the outboard tendon attaches to the trapezium(?) bone in my wrist. Six weeks totally immobilized with 3 pins holding the pieces together, now been a week in a removable spica splint. I know it's going to take a while to learn how to use it again, BUT I don't want to get too ambitious- the doc told me not to do anything for two weeks, one week ago. I'm trying to just slightly, barely move it (super stiff) and touch my index fingertip to my thumbtip. I'm fearing some nerve damage from the pins, because the outside of my thumb from the nail to the big knuckle is numb.

Oh yeah, getting the pins removed was so much fun! At first they told me they'd shoot a local anesthesthia, OK no problem thinks I... I go to the appt and the nurse walks in with 8" Crafstman Vise Grips! Didn't even let me take an aspirin or anything, and the things were in TIGHT! :bugeyes:

I heartily recommend NOT breaking your hand!!!