Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dafunk5446

A Couple Prototype's

So last season I had really good luck with Turcks Tarantula (I don't think you could have a bad day with this fly even if you tried!). I love how it can be fished dry or as a streamer. However, the dubbed body tends to get water logged and starts to sink immediately which isn't always a bad thing, but sometimes I just want the thing to stay a dry fly especially during stone/hopper fishing. So I tried a couple different ways of tying the fly and thought I would share my ideas, and see if anyone else has tried this and what their experiences were.

The first thought I had was to use poly yarn for the body, and segment it a bit

DSCF1981.jpg

The second idea was a irresistible body.

DSCF1978.jpg

Thanks for looking, hopefully somebody else has tried one of these options.

I don't fish the Tarantula (insect life over here is much smaller than in western US), but speaking generally: if you have problem with waterlogging try either using dubbing from a water animal (beaver, muskrat or even seal come to mind) as these absorb less water than land animals like rabbit, or tie a bit of styrofoam underneath the dubbing. The Tarantula is a big pattern, it should survive having a bit thicker body.

J.

With the hook used on the Irresistible body I would be worried about the hook gap...I would use a little wider gap and trin the harin down a little more. Foam strip bodies also work fairly well and provide a good splat when hitting the surface. Personally I tie mine with a dubbed body treated with WaterShed and do not have problems.

love to top on the bast. I cant sau i have ever used a trantula as a spider, i think they represent a moth/hopper/stone fly all mashed into one.

but they look great

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Firetiger- I normally use a muskrat fur body, but I should have also stated that I tend to fish a lot of pocket water and I was trying to make this fly float like a cork. The foam is a good idea, a humpy tarantula might work well.

Redwings- I absolutely hate that hook lol, I just used them cause they were the within arms reach and I want to get rid of them. As for the body, these were just some rough prototypes, I just gave it a quick trim with scissors instead of finding a razor blade to do it right.

'Funk...looks good, bro! And you guys are right about the fur selection. The rule is "if it's a dryland animal, great for wets. If it's a 'wet' ani al, great for dries." Holds true more times than not.