Fly Tying
david morin

Fly Photography

Hello everyone. First time posting here, I had to create an account. I post on the classic site a little bit, but I read both sites often as they are all great. I am wondering if someone can help me out with my fly photography: I'm trying to get the background BLACK, like pitch black with the fly lit up well. I've seen it done but cannot figure out how to do it myself. Ive tried many different ways but I cant get it the way I'm hoping. Can someone point me in the right direction please. Thanks a lot, Dave

Hello everyone. First time posting here, I had to create an account. I post on the classic site a little bit, but I read both sites often as they are all great. I am wondering if someone can help me out with my fly photography: I'm trying to get the background BLACK, like pitch black with the fly lit up well. I've seen it done but cannot figure out how to do it myself. Ive tried many different ways but I cant get it the way I'm hoping. Can someone point me in the right direction please. Thanks a lot, Dave

Hi Dave,

I shoot almost all of my fly photography against a black background; I think it makes the detail in the fly seem more dramatic. I separate my background and subject for all fly shots no matter what background I use. The back ground is a 2' x 5' black (or color of choice) hanging on the wall about 3 feet behind the vise. I have three lights on the subjet and four lights for the background. Understand, I don't turn on the background lights if I'm shooting against a black background. If I want a colored background I replace the black cloth with a blue (or green) one, turn on the lights and take a meter reading on the background. I adjust the amount of light hitting the colored background based on how light or dark I want the blue or green background to appear in the shot when compared to the light meter reading I'm using with the camera. I shoot all my fly pix using manual settings on the camera.

There are several really talented photographer on this site who may have some really good ideas as well. Jay, John, Lynn & Threshershark come to mind but are they not the only ones who may have ideas; they are just the names I could think of at the moment. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Gretchen & Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Is this what you had in mind I use reflective materials on the bottom and a non reflective color for the background. flies3.jpg

Is this what you had in mind I use reflective materials on the bottom and a non reflective color for the background. flies3.jpg

Here is another flies2.jpg

WOW! Nice shot! I used to shoot commercially, and I love any really nice imaging anyone comes up with. That's a great image setup you have there! Thanks for sharing that! It gets my brain working on image possibilities just seeing something so nicely done!

Dave, one of the problems of the all black background with most cameras, is that the automatic exposure will overexpose the fly, badly washing out all the details. There are some ways to fool the camera, but it often takes a bit of experimentation. If you have digital, at least you have no film cost in experimenting, and I can give you some thoughts on that if it helps. What kind of camera do you have? It makes a huge difference in how you will approach this.

David <><

Oh... and btw... I love the classic rendering of the Micky Finn. Nice work. Did you tie that recently? I don't see many folks tying them quite like that anymore.

I appreciate all the info guys, thanks

Old Flies, those are fine looking pics and VERY close to what Im talking about. This is a link to some flies I saw posted on the classic streamer site that are exactly what Im talking about. Ive been shooting for a long time, never on a high level mind you, but I know some tricks and Im not a beginner. However, I CANNOT figure out how to get these types of jet black backgrounds.

Again, I appreciate the info, if anyone else has some secrets and wants to share them Im sure we'd all appreciate it. Dave

http://www.classicflytying.com/index.php?s...hl=photographer

I appreciate all the info guys, thanks

Old Flies, those are fine looking pics and VERY close to what Im talking about. This is a link to some flies I saw posted on the classic streamer site that are exactly what Im talking about. Ive been shooting for a long time, never on a high level mind you, but I know some tricks and Im not a beginner. However, I CANNOT figure out how to get these types of jet black backgrounds.

Again, I appreciate the info, if anyone else has some secrets and wants to share them Im sure we'd all appreciate it. Dave

http://www.classicflytying.com/index.php?s...hl=photographer

Dave, I didn't realize what your background in photography was. The key to keeping the background black is to drop it at least three f-stops below the standard exposure for your subject. (Assuming a black or nearly black background) The best way to do that is to make sure there is significantly more distance, percentage-wise from the light to the background than the the distance of the light to the subject. If you have the light two feet from the background, but one foot from the subject, for example, you will have only 1/4 the light on the background, and that would be a two f-stop difference. If you have the light 3x further to the background, it would give you 1/9 the light level, and that would be a little over a 3 f-stop difference. This is because the light falls off by the inverse square law, and it takes relatively little change in that distance ratio to yield a significant change in the lighting ratio. You do need to be careful to insure that you get no specular reflection from the background, however, since this would create a hotspot that would likely be apparent in the final image. Another trick is to top light the subject a bit more, and/or use a barn door, (or fashion a gobo, slang for "go-between") to shadow the background from the light source. This will yield an even greater lighting ratio, and will eliminate the possibility of specular reflection. Hope that helps. Once you get the right set-up, it is easily repeatable, and very reliable. Good luck!

Here is another set up with a new light box I have been working with as soon as I have built to my liking , I need to adjust the height a bit I will post some pics of the set up. David good bit of info about light distances that I didn`t take into consideration on the light box this info will help with my project.silk3.jpg

Thanks for the comments

Bill

My two favorite ways to get a black background:

orchidsetup.jpg

paph9034.jpg

Darkened room, subject is lit with external flash but background is too far away to be illuminated, small aperture and fairly fast shutter speed.

p05.jpg

Black velvet ( not crushed velvet) eats ambient light - again background is not close to subject

My two favorite ways to get a black background:

orchidsetup.jpg

paph9034.jpg

Darkened room, subject is lit with external flash but background is too far away to be illuminated, small aperture and fairly fast shutter speed.

p05.jpg

Black velvet ( not crushed velvet) eats ambient light - again background is not close to subject

Just when I thought my fly photography was getting better and was going to post a couple of my pictures, I see these photos and now, am intimidated. Keep up the great work!

silk3.jpg

Here is another set up with a new light box I have been working with as soon as I have built to my liking , I need to adjust the height a bit I will post some pics of the set up. David good bit of info about light distances that I didn`t take into consideration on the light box this info will help with my project.silk3.jpg

Thanks for the comments

Bill

I may have missed it, but for the flies, what has been your preferred lens? I have a decent macro lense, and I have used a telephoto lens. Two similar yet different results when I have played around as of late.

I may have missed it, but for the flies, what has been your preferred lens? I have a decent macro lense, and I have used a telephoto lens. Two similar yet different results when I have played around as of late.

I have been using 60 and 100 mm macro as of late, but have used 135mm as well, for flies I`d say the macro`s are the better choice.

Checked out your blog very nice flies and photos.