Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
notenuftoys

First clousers and buggers

I picked up a Griffin Odyssey Spider today, and here's the resulting clouser minnows and woolly bugger. I really like this vise! It's super easy to set up and holds the hooks better than expected.

Feel free to critique, comment, and offer suggestions. I'm brand new at this, but it's a lot of fun so far.

4280199353_2f7577be69_b.jpg

4280199343_b953e23afe_b.jpg

4280199347_ab1e6dee84_b.jpg

If this is your first day tying....I am blown away. VERY great job on those flies. On the bugger you might try a smaller size chennile and shorten up that tail. But its a great fly :headbang:

The clousers look great also. Congrats on the Spider, I am thinking about picking one up as a travel vise.

wooly bugger could use a: shorter tail ( hook shank length) and half as much marabou, smaller chenille, streamer hook, cleaner head area

Make your hook completely horizontal to the bench or else when you rotate your vise the hook shank will wobble. As for the flies, the clouser looks good! As for the Wooley Bugger, shorten up your tail (the length should equal the length of the shank length) get a better quality chenille and downsize it. Also I noticed you're using Gamagatsu hooks (correct me if I'm wrong) but I recommend TMC 9395 or a smaller TMC 300.

Thanks for the feedback and compliments, guys. It's interesting how taking a picture of a fly gives a different perspective. The tail on the bugger didn't look too long when I tied it, but when I downloaded the picture I noticed it was a little long.

I'm using Gamakatsu hooks for the clousers and TMC 5263 for the woolly bugger. Is that the right bugger hook? I'll play around with different ones for the clousers.

I'm really enjoying the challenge of tying and looking forward to trying different combinations. For white bass the clouser will be my go-to fly (when it gets a little warmer), so it will be fun to tie different color combinations and see which catch fish better.

Thanks for the feedback and compliments, guys. It's interesting how taking a picture of a fly gives a different perspective. The tail on the bugger didn't look too long when I tied it, but when I downloaded the picture I noticed it was a little long.

I'm using Gamakatsu hooks for the clousers and TMC 5263 for the woolly bugger. Is that the right bugger hook? I'll play around with different ones for the clousers.

I'm really enjoying the challenge of tying and looking forward to trying different combinations. For white bass the clouser will be my go-to fly (when it gets a little warmer), so it will be fun to tie different color combinations and see which catch fish better.

Try Mustad 3366 All Purpose hooks for the Clousers. They are good hooks and decent price to boot. If you want to get fancy, try the Mustad CK52S kink shank popper hook. The wire is strong, the gap holds fish well, and the kink in the shank gives you a good reference point to tie your lead eyes in. I have found (and it could be just my imagination or the beer) that tying the eyes up onto the kink (not at the point of the kink, but on the front slope of the kink) creates a lower center of gravity on the fly and keep it hook point up better and more stable. If you look at some of my streamer patterns on here, I've tied them on the popper hooks.

As far the bugger hooks, I like using at least a 3x or 4x long hook, something along the lines of a Mustad R74. It keeps the body proportions right.

You can shorten up maibou tails by simply plucking out the feathers that are too long. It keeps it from having a cut look and works pretty well.

The clousers look good too, my only advice is to keep them a little more sparse. The advice I got from clouser guys when I started tying is to grab what you think you need, take half of it, then take half of that and tie your fly. I would not cut3/4 out of what you used, but maybe 1/4-1/3 less. Its a personal thing, but I have noticed less is more with clousers. Baitfish in water are pretty transparent. Bob Clouser, AK Best, and many others have all mentioned this one place or another. The color on a baitfish under water is almost always just a little stripe along the top, so think of it as just a flash of color whan you tie the "back". I would shorten them up a little too so they don't get short struck. Clousers are more of a reaction bait, so the back tends to get hit the most. But they all look good and I would fish every one of them. They are much better than my first clousers.