Fly Tying
cussfly16

Ezee Sculpin

I forgot to mention in the directions, that at the end take a permanent marker and color it appropriately. This fly is a lot of fun in the current but be sure to use large tippet to cut down on twist and landing large fish.

Those are very nice looking flies... they sure have a nice sculpin form. But I have a question... what is EZ Bug?

Ezee Bug is the name of the wooly material that you wrap these with. The packages I have are Metz so I figure its an Umpqua material. It has alot of applications, from nymphs to streamers, but it is kinda pricy for the amount you get in the package.

Great pattern. I really like the profile and the action it should impart. Neat material. Thanks for sharing.

...and who knows you may catch one of these...

post-13329-1266168364_thumb.jpg

WTF? That is a great photo, like like like :) How did that happen?

My apologies to cussfly16 for going off topic, but I just have to know ;-)

J.

Great pattern. I really like the profile and the action it should impart. Neat material. Thanks for sharing.

post-13329-1266168364_thumb.jpg

That is quite the photo.

Ezee Bug is the name of the wooly material that you wrap these with. The packages I have are Metz so I figure its an Umpqua material. It has alot of applications, from nymphs to streamers, but it is kinda pricy for the amount you get in the package.

Thanks for the information. I've never seen it before.

Holy crap that picture is freaky and awesome!!! Troutguy where are you in South Carolina? If you are close enough, we just opened the Chattooga River Fly Shop, if you want to stop in I will teach you how to tie this fly. It is super "easy".... lol! Sorry, couldn't resist.... Old hat, seriously that is a great picture...

Sorry didn't mean to hijack at all, Those really are great flies Cuss...going to have to get some of that material, lots of creative juices flowing there.

My son came screaming while on the Lochsa River in Idaho last year about a "two headed something" down river. When we got there we saw this snake trying to swallow this sculpin. The sculpin was still alive and gasping for air while the snake was chomping trying to get it down. Unfortunately I don't think either probably made it through the ordeal. The sculpin wasn't going anywhere because the pectoral fins where keeping the snake from swallowing it anymore and from what I found out, or was told by a couple biologist that I showed the pic to, snakes can't kick food out once they start swallowing. Not to mention that the sculpin dorsal spines were probably inbedded in the snake's "throat". I call the pic "sculpin gulpin' "

Sculpin Gulpin'..... :clapping: Well done sir, I enjoyed that quite a bit. Thanks about the flies guys, it is just a take on Mercers Rag wool sculpin, so its not really original but it has been working better for me. The tan fly in this picture was actually broke off the other day by a big brown on the strike. It was awesome and kinda scary. I figured 13 lb. Rio would prevent that, but it was vicious....