Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
carolinafisherman

A Fly for a Hat

My dad asked me to tie him a fly to go onto his new felt hat. Does anyone know of any good, large, colorful, not too terribly difficult flies that would look good on a hat?

Thanks

Tight lines

-CF

IMO something about size 2 with full Guinea Fowl wings and some Peacock herl always looks good stuck in a hat. If you want to go authentic, then a nice heavy lead-eye bucktail minnow in whatever colors you fancy... Ooops, forgot to duck~!

green highlander or silver doctor hair wings or full dressed are my favorites for hats them baitfish J aren't tied for hats they just end up in them by bad casting lol

ROFL

Nice! I assume you have only seen this...

Thanks, fellas. I'll look into those. As a secondary note, the fly should probably be relatively flat, he said he doesn't want a fur ball on there.

Tight lines

-CF

Micky Finn, classically dressed tinsel for body, add guinea for the cheeks, and jungle cock for eyes, or any Carrie Stevens pattern.

Well, can't offer much help with a flat pattern, but I have a boonie hat that is covered in poppers....functional, and yet stylish on the creek! :P

Well, can't offer much help with a flat pattern, but I have a boonie hat that is covered in poppers....functional, and yet stylish on the creek! :P

Now that really sounds nice!

I used to have a ball cap that I sewed a patch of synthetic sheepskin onto, and then had all kinds of weird looking stuff stuck onto it. Most of my experimentals ended up in it when I was testing them. In those days I never pinched down a barb... never even heard of anyone doing that. So some of them got stuck there permanently, more or less. I would run into people on the stream, and we'd strike up a conversation, and typically they'd stare at my hat the whole time we were talking... but no one ever asked about the bizarre looking stuff stuck in that patch. I still don't know what they thought about it. I can only imagine.

I love the stares I get...I bought a Primos straw hat at the locla Wally last summer just to keep from burning my scalp in the canoe. The straw weaving made it EASY to slip in poppers and streamers. Must have looked like a fly shop exploded on my head!