Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

any intrest?

Hey, looks like the swap is full. Steve forgot to count himself (always include the swapmeister in the total count). So, any hairwing salmon fly, or classic hairwing? Does it matter?

Jerry,

I always thought that the host did not include himself. If he does include himself and everyone ties 12 flies, each swapper will get one of their own flies back. Now I'm confused. huh.gif

help.gif

Ok, I'll give this advice. I've done alot of swaps. More then I care to remember at times. But I've been a swapmeister on over 40 (I hosted almost 10 at the board I met Will on). I've also been a "tyer" on well over a 100 (I'm a member on 7 active tying boards, so easy to do lol). To date, all the ones I've been on, the swapmeister normally ties flies and is involved in the swap. So when we setup say 12 tyers, the swapmeister is tyer #1. Then you backfill another 11. But the rules stated above were given to me. Seemed to be the norm off all the sites I could find. Here's one fly swap rules

When it comes to flies, that has varied. Some require an even-steven per tyer. 12 tyers, 12 flies. That way even bundles going out. But, have had were you have 12 tyers, only 11 flies going out. That way the swapper doesn't get his own fly back. I always prefered the "one fly for everyone including the person who tied them". This makes sorting easy, and everyone gets the same flies. No worries about a messup sending out the wrong bag (which does happen with the "short one fly" method eventually).

Oh, but I can see if the swapmeister just wants to be guy organizing it. Then you can have 12 with swapmeister simply sorting, but what fun is that? But the norm is you call a total, and the SM being numero uno. But there is one board that with the swaps, if it calls for 12 tyers, they want 13 flies going out. 12 for all the participants and SM, the last to go to a guy who photos and catalogs the flies.

Wow this is confusing. We have always done them differently here and the way we do them was the system that OSD uses(he hosted our first swap) For a 12 person swap there is actually 13 tyers one being the host. That way each person ties 12 flies. Everyone gets 12 flies in return from the other swappers. The only fly that is missing out of the batch is one of your own.

unsure.gif

Will, it doesn't matter to me. Just that I'm going off the standard on most boards. My first fly swap I did back in 96' (I think it was about then) was the rules I have always went by. Plus, most of the boards I've been on have been the same (including where we met which back then was pretty big). Those are the standards that were set quite awhile ago. So ones I've always used. But if the site wants to do it that way, that's fine. But with the one for one rule, you know there is no confusion. Swapmeister has to make sure that he keeps them all segregated, so as the tyer doesn't get his own fly back as he's sorting. I always found it easier the way I learned, since EVERYONE'S flies were exact. Every packet was identicle, so no fuss over a mistake. But these are pretty much all the standard rules on every major flyboard I've been on (FAOL, VPS, WWFF) and all the local fly boards I'm on. Maybe it's a Great Lakes thing. wink.gif laugh.gif We keep it simple here. laugh.gif

This site is the only site I have ever participated on so I have no clue what goes on in the outside world. It doesn't matter to me how they are run I guess it would be up to the host to do what he/she is comfortable with.

I need a beer, my brain hurts. baby.gif

Will, don't fret over it. Just needs to be setforth in the rules by the swapmeister EXACTLY how many flies to tie and how many total in the swap. Makes it easy enough that way. When I host one, I'll probably go off the rules I'm used to. But, not sure, I'm about burned out on swaps right now. I bitched long enough at Steve about swaps, then I signed up for two here. Then forgot I'm already doing 3. LOL. So just wrapped up those other 3 swaps flies, and now ready to do the 2 on here. laugh.gif But, I've done almost 20 swaps this year alone, what am I thinking???? LOL

Well we have always done 12 swappers plus the SM on here so theres actually 13 tiers but you only tie 12 flies so that you dont get one of your own back. But heres what we will do...

I'll leave the sign up open till tommorow night and if anyone else wants to fill that last spot then do it before tommorow night and we will have 12 flies each to tie. If no one fills that last spot before tommorow night then i'll close it with what we have and we will each have 11 flies to tie.

There is no "right or wrong" here i have seen many places do just as jerry mentioned but most the swaps we have done here on FTF have been 12 swappers PLUS the SM so thats why i was leaving it that way.

I'll close it tommorow and tell everyone how many they need to tie and we'll set the due date at that time also.

SD