Fly Tying
bitstreamer

Tying the Wooly Bear Caterpillar

Now that is a good looking tie! If the fish don't bite that they are not biting or your fishing it in the toilet biggrin.gif

ok guys, I tied up a dozen of these. You know, just in case they work. I am going to fish Elk this weekend. I will let you all know. I would again like to thank the people who took the time to give advice and critic. It is much appreciated.

wink.gif

Isn't there a Farmers Almanac myth that goes with them, like the wider the center stripe is, the harsher the winter will be? Looks like a great tie, and something even a novice like myself can do.

Might have to get started tying soon! Pheasant season is coming up...gonna have LOTS of feathers to work with next weekend!

Smallie, that new avatar is frightening bugeyes.gif

Has anyone ever had a fish take a wooly bear (not bugger)? Everyone I fish with in Maine says it's a no-go fly. I haven't had any luck with the pattern, not that represents a representative pattern of experience since I gave up on it after the first five years of tying.

QUOTE (boba @ Oct 2 2004, 12:22 AM)

boba...dont ever leave town for the weekend and let anyone know about it or thats what happens laugh.gif wink.gif

Heh. Hehe. Heheh. Steel, I will take your advice. A pic of me in that state would be even more frightening. unsure.gif

QUOTE (boba @ Oct 2 2004, 12:22 AM)

Has anyone ever had a fish take a wooly bear (not bugger)? Everyone I fish with in Maine says it's a no-go fly. I haven't had any luck with the pattern, not that represents a representative pattern of experience since I gave up on it after the first five years of tying.

I took this from a trout fishing web site. If course this isn't the Rockies.... I guess I'll put it to the test tomorrow. It starts out talking about the wooly worm but then praises the wooly worm. wink.gif

Perhaps the all-time great Western wet flies is the wooly worm. Many Rocky Mountain anglers will tell you that the wooly worm is the one and only fly for that part of the country. It is tied in many sizes and colors and combinations of colors. The orange and black with a few sprigs of white mixed with the black at each end is probably the best of the lot, being a true imitation of the wooly bear, a caterpillar which appears in the fall. Weather prophets claim to be able to foretell the severity of the coming winter by the width of the orange band around the woolly bear's middle.

Regardless of the width of the band, the trout bust it with vigor and it is one of the most successful wet flies in use today. There are certain of the wets which should form the basis of the fisherman's fly book. These will give him a start, wherever he fishes, to be added to as he discovers the natural food of the fish in the stream and learns of the patterns which local fishermen are finding successful at the moment, or which have proved to be consistent fish takers over the years.

As with dries, I give the ten I would choose, could I have no others:

GRAY HACKLE, YELLOW BODY, SIZE 8 BROWN HACKLE, SIZE 8 COACHMAN, SIZE 14 ROYAL COACHMAN, SIZE 12 BLACK GNAT, SIZE 6 WOOLY BEAR, SIZE 8 MCGINTY, SIZE 10 COWDUNG, SIZE 12 ALEXANDRIA, SIZE 14 GINGER QUILL, SIZE 12

Well, I struck out with the Wooly Bear, but I did catch three Steelie's on a #10 Black and Blonde Wooly Bugger. Nothing else seemed to work for me.

Bitstreamer, what region are you in? East, NE, Midwest, West or? I've been successful with the Wooly Bugger, especially those that are primarily olive or black with a chartreuse butt and matching marabou tail, but never with the Wooly Bear. They just don't seem to work for me in ME or MA where I usually fish.

My Dad works at the Tionesta PA hatchery where 95% of the PA steelies are raised. They have tons of wolly bears this time of year. I've thrown them in the raceways and they'll hit them, but immediatley spit them. Guess they don't taste good.

boba, Toneloc, et al- My experience here in New England is much the same with Wooly Bears. A take, then an immediate rejection of the natural. I've tied them just for fun and fished them; my recollection is all they get is a bump or a whack or a disgusted look- they sure do get treated like the naturals.