Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
woollybugger

Peacock Bass

My family is planing a trip to Panama. and I hear thair are lost of good peacock fishing over there. I've never fished forthem before and was wondering anyone had any suggestions on flies.

I don't know the first thing about peacock bass fishing, but there aren't many fish on the planet that won't smack a Lefty's deceiver or a big woolly bugger. Tabory's snake fly is another pattern that will catch just about anything. White, black, and olive are pretty much universal colors - maybe toss in a few in brighter colors like yellow, green, etc. I doubt you need to get fancy. I've seen plugs that are supposedly good for peacocks - four to seven-inch range.

Try large loud surface chuggers and poppers in bright colors like orange-yellow-black combo or something similar. For the big boys in South America I know people use large surface plugs so I would imagine using large flies as well in the 5-7 in range. I use to catch them in So. Fla on Bomber Long A's and they weren't the Speckled Peacock (the large ones) which they get in Panama, so you will need a rod that can throw large flies.

Hello woollybugger, a trip to Panama is great, lisent Peacock Bass eat everything, I mean everything! but the best flies for them are clouser minnow, deceivers, diver, poppers and wool head patterns.The Peacock Bass of Panama is the same of here (Puerto Rico) is the "Cichla ocellaris" and can grow up to 12 pound, not like his his cousin the "Cichla temensis" that gow up to 30 pound and live in the Amazon river.This photo was yesterday in a river near to my house, I love Peacock Bass on fly, there are wild!

DSC05135.jpg

DSC05131.jpg

DSC05133.jpg

this is a small one but you can caught dozens of them in one day.

DSC05139.jpg

The Cichla ocellaris have 4 to 5 or even 6 black bars, the temensis have only 3 well pronounced black bars, here an example.

DSC05082.jpg