Fly Tying
Dart

Popper Swap II

So, we had fun with the last popper swap and I've had requests for another one. I thought we'd do something a bit different this time though. Several people have mentioned difficulty in obtaining pre-made popper bodies, so let's do one with no pre-fabricated bodies (wapsi perfect popper, rainy's foam, etc). Outside of this one guideline, the body is limited only by your imagination. Use punched out foam from flip flops, spin/stack deer hair, sculpted wine cork bodies, balsa, glued foam (dremel) bodies, Kirk's sanded hula bodies, etc. The list goes on and on!

Hopefully, we'll all learn some new techniques to make poppers and broaden our skills in the process. Since there were a few people that missed out on this one, let's have 13 tiers, each sending in 12 flies. Standard swap rules apply (toe tag your flies and send self addressed stamped envelope for return flies and make sure to send a big enough box to accommodate 12 poppers!). If you have any questions on swap rules, feel free to PM me.

All flies are due to me by June 1st. And remember, MAKE YOUR OWN POPPER BODIES!

SWAP CLOSED

We fell one tier short of filling this one up, so everyone can send in 11 flies instead of the original 12.

STATUS UPDATED AS OF 6/5

1) Dart DONE

2) riffleriversteelheadslayerpaulreallyneedsalongerforumhandle RECEIVED

3) gpd4 RECEIVED

4) smokinprice RECEIVED

5) BigDaddyHub RECEIVED

6) Brian Brown75 DROPPED

7) Kirk Dietrich RECEIVED

8) breambuster RECEIVED

9) Flytyer14 RECEIVED

10) nofish RECEIVED

11) RobertM RECEIVED

12) P.Dieter RECEIVED

13) ----------

I'm in tbd sounds great

:headbang: I knew I could count on you Paul! Rockin'! Glad to have ya!

Alright I am going back and forth on this one. I will admit I was one who wanted to do another popper swap but I also have like over one hundred popper bodies in sizes 8 and 10 in my stash. This is out of my confort zone and maybe outside of my abilities. I hate to join this one only to learn I cant complete it. Still deciding......

Alright I am going back and forth on this one. I will admit I was one who wanted to do another popper swap but I also have like over one hundred popper bodies in sizes 8 and 10 in my stash. This is out of my confort zone and maybe outside of my abilities. I hate to join this one only to learn I cant complete it. Still deciding......

Jeff, it's outside my comfort zone too, but I think we'll all learn something. Over the past couple of weeks, that's really the only time my poppers had been fished and I learned that polyurethane doesn't do the trick for me. So next time I'll try epoxy. I also learned that panfish just as soon hit a barenaked white perfect popper body glued to a hook as a stippled style popper that took me a long time to paint. It's not always about what the fisherman thinks, but what the fish thinks. Jump on in, I'd love to have you... and you'll do fine!

This time, I'm going to focus on more "economical" poppers, but I'll pay attention to the craftsmanship to the best of my ability. I've NEVER played with balsa, but I'm going to try it. If I can pull it off, I'll be able to get 50 popper bodies out of a stick of $1.79 balsa. That will come in handy for poppers down the road. If I can't pull it off, I'll try something else... but at this point I'm really banking on the balsa to come through for me.

Alright I will give it a whirl
:headbang:

and a big ole :headbang: to gpd too. Good to have you in another one, boys!

Man, I shouldn't be doing this; I have a some commercial tying orders to fulfill. How can I pass up seeing what ya'll come up with though. With the orders, I'm going to have to stay economical with time so, I'll likely do some proven foam bugs that hopefully will not dissappoint. I look forward to it.

Kirk

Man, I shouldn't be doing this; I have a some commercial tying orders to fulfill. How can I pass up seeing what ya'll come up with though. With the orders, I'm going to have to stay economical with time so, I'll likely do some proven foam bugs that hopefully will not dissappoint. I look forward to it.

Kirk

:headbang: Awesome!

Kirk

Cant wait to see what you cook up brother. I am sure it will be stunning!