Fly Tying
TPugliese

Hello from Walla Walla WA.

Just thought I would say hello and tell you how I started tying & fishing. My name is Tony, My wife claims I need a twelve step program for all my hobbies (shrug) and the latest is fly tying.

Last fall I ran across some basic tying materials, tools and how to books that was destined for the trash during a storage unit cleanout. Being the creative type and one that loves the process of creating anything, I thought I’d save it and give it a try…

It didn’t take long to figure out that I enjoyed this and that most of what I had was junk, including the vise, so I began the process of buying and buying and buy…well I think you get the picture. I now have a fully stocked and dedicated tying station…oh and still buying. Along the way I’ve picked up a ton of info from the forum. Thanks!!

After the first hundred ties I started thinking…I needed a fly rod so I can try these babies out. I’ve never caught anything on a fly let alone had a fly rod in my hand so I picked up an Orvis book on fly fishing and quickly realized that there is a whole lot to choosing a rod & reel setup…right down the line to the fly!

As luck would have it, one of my part-time employees turns out to be an avid fly fisherman. Who knew? He has been schooling me on this new adventure in gear, casting, fly selection, etc. Great guy!

I picked up a couple more tying books, Tying nymphs and Tying dry flies by Randall Kaufman. (BTW great books) and have been working my way through both books.

Monday March 1, was opening day for lakes here in Washington State. My new fishing buddy, who fortunately has an Outcast pontoon boat for himself and a supper fat cat that he let me barrow, took me out on the lake and I caught my first trout on a fly, a 22” rainbow, on an olive bunny leach. Largest fish I’ve caught in my life! I ended the day with two that size in the net.

post-23606-1273189197_thumb.jpg

Since then I’ve been able to get out to a much smaller lake closer to home and having a blast. The trout are smaller 10-14 but just as fun. In fact I hooked this 16”, the largest I’ve taken from here, I think he called it a triploid (?) and he (the fish) was pissed that he got fooled and jump 2 feet out of the water, twice, and then tail walked straight at me for about 10 feet. That actually startled me as I had never experienced anything like it. So I had to take a picture of him as a reminder before I released it.

post-23606-1273189075_thumb.jpg

I'll try and and get some of my flies uploaded too for some recommendations. I've already picked up loads of useful tips just lurking around.

---Tony

Hi Jan, I saw on your blog that you were at Lake Lenice not to long ago. Lenice is where I was on March 1. I can’t wait to get time to go back over there. I’m headed to the Big Four tomorrow with a buddy from Spokane. That’s the smaller lake that I was also referring too.

I only had a short time to visit your site. I like reading blogs of interest, I’ll be checking yours out more!

I’ve also been lurking around the Washington fly fishing forum picking up on other fishing spots.

Welcome, TP...If you don't mind being mentored by a much yonger fisherman, Jan is your guy! Bright kid and fantastic little tier!

Thanks BigDaddyHub

I've got a lot of learning to do so I'll take it wherever and from whoever is generous enough to teach or pass on that tidbit of info that give me that "a ha" moment.

On another note, I caught my first trout on a dry fly this weekend. Got five on a Light Cahill and two on an Adams. Both flies were my own ties.

Light Cahill is my favorite dry....along with a Nu No Hackle (Swisher style). Great when you fool the fish with your own ties!

Hi Tony and welcome to the forum. I'm not sure who is hooked more in your introduction, you or the fish. Glad to have you around. I'm just south of you in Enterprise, Or. If you haven't checked them out yet you have a great local club the Walla Walla Fly Fishers. In fact they are having a fly fishing fair on the 22nd of May at Waterbrook Winery. Here is their website if your interested

Walla Walla Fly Fishers

That would be a great spot to meet others and new fishing spots.

Hi Old Hat, LOL!! I think I’m definitely more hooked then the fish. A few things keep getting in the way of tying and fishing are work, honey do’s, sleep, etc.

I love your neck of the woods. I was up backpacking & fishing on the Imnaha last summer at Indian crossing and up to the Blue Hole. I’m hoping to get up there again this year with a fly pole that is if I can afford the out of state license, they’ve really gone up this year.

Thanks for that link too. I’ve got to check that out more. It would be great to get some casting help from the certified casting instructor there.

---tony

post-23606-1273695230_thumb.jpg

post-23606-1273695250_thumb.jpg