Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mike Boyer

Caddis Cripple (stuck in the shuck)

Ok, go easy on me fellows. Though I tied Trout flies for many years, I have been tying almost nothing but Atlantic

Salmon flies for several years. I'm transitioning back to smaller flies in hopes of doing more Trout fishing this Summer.

I've always been a fan of Bob Quigley's fantastic patterns. I was given 10 flies of his and they are amazing! His use of

materials and the inventive way he uses them is something to aspire to.

I had fished Quigley's Caddis Cripple pattern that came from the Dana Store in Fall River, CA with some success, but haven't

seen it on this forum. I tied one to show you what it looks like. Being stuck in the shuck, the tail and body are tied with

brown marabou (mine is a coppery color), with a copper wire rib. Cree or barred ginger hackle tips are tied at the sides.

A Deer hair wing, and spun and clipped Deer hair complete the fly.

Quigley Caddis Cripple:

post-4404-1276994101_thumb.jpg

This pattern has success written all over it Mike! Clever combination of materials. The herl will make the body sit nicely below the surface film, suspended by the hair wing. Brilliant.

That coppery herl is a marvelous color. Did you dye the material yourself?

How do you like tying on these little irons again?

'Go easy on me', don't know what you mean Mike, it's a great looking tie.

Nice choice of materials and beautifuly balanced proportions, it looks good to me. Keep em coming

I am with Ray, love the colour of the shuck!

Thanks, Ray. The pattern echoes proven greats such as the Muddler Minnow (Don Gapen) and the lesser known Jughead

fly by Pat Barnes with the hair wing and spun hair head, but in the smaller Caddis sizes. It also has that modern flair

for various stages and conditions the insects find themselves in.

I wish I knew how the Ostrich was dyed. I bought this years ago. It is super fine herl suitable for the smaller flies.

I'm still adjusting my eyes to the smaller irons. 16 seems tiny to me any more. I'll work around the edges and see if

my older eyes can adjust!

Beautiful fly Mike and a great pattern I haven't come across before. I fish the Quigley Cripple mayfly patterns probably more than any other "dry fly" style pattern. They work wonders for callibeatis and green drake patterns. Going to definitely put this one in the box.

Nicely done :)

I like muddlers alot for stillwater, but I could see me using this on the flowing stuff...