Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kirk Dietrich

Pike Spoon Flies

The spoon fly is a great fly rod lure for redfish and I've heard Pike are pretty gullable for a spoon, so I thought I'd tie up some spoon flies for a friend in Canada that fishes for Pike. They are tied on a Mustad 34011 size #3/0. Not sure if it is to hot to fish for pike in shallow water; this is a shallow running spoon with not much weight is pretty weedless so I hope he gets a chance to use them. I think they should be large enough they have a pretty good presence and action in the water so I think they should still attract decent sized fish.

Kirk

StuThompson-8222-1.jpg

StuThompson-8227-2.jpg

smalliestalker:

Kirk is just thinking "outside the box". This has long been a common thread in Louisiana "fly" tying and also in other parts of the country... think fly rod spinners and other such creations.

Can't wait to see the comments when someone posts a VOSI here.

Thanks Smallie and oh yes, many people have argued that this is not a fly however, while it may not be a "fly", it is as much a fly rod lure as the spin fishing equivalent of a jig such as bead head nymphs and lead barbell eyed streamers.

Two local red fishing captains and myself, the fly tier, spent a year field testing and re-tying this spoon before coming up with the right amount of and placement of lead wraps inside the mylar body. Being the fly tier, I was always giving them samples to test that had some tailing material such as marabou and even as little as crystal flash. However, they always wound up cutting off the tail material in the field and said it just fished and acted better without the tailing. So, thus was born almost twenty years ago now, what I've been told is, the best shallow water fly rod spoon.

Granted there are many epoxy only or tape with epoxy versions out there that are much easier to tie but are heavier they sink faster, which is not good for shallow water redfishing.

Kirk

I wasn't implying that it didn't qualify as a fly....I may have wrote my comment wrong....I am all about thinking outside of the box....I do believe they are fish catchers....

Smallie, with the deer hair bugs I've seen you tie, I have no doubt that you are about thinking out of the box!

While I doubt most here won't think so, many people don't consider anything but a dry fly a "fly".

When I was guiding, I had several cold water fly fishers that questioned me about the legitamacy and legality of tying on a spoon fly to their tippet. After I explained all the tying and hand tinting that goes into this they would generally open up to the idea and then when they saw redfish turn and bolt on the fly, they questioned it no longer.

Thanks for the input Stip and Smallie,

Kirk

I have noticed that adding "EAT ME" on my spoon flies increased my catch rate 10-1.

Yes, it's a well known fact that fish are a literate bunch. <_<

Nice flies Kirk, could you share the pattern and how to tie them with us.

Hi Denis, the literacy of southern fish has been a question of much debate so I'll just err on the side of hope that our fish aren't as illiterate as the kids that come out of our public school system.

I have a step by step on doing the spoon on the following link: Unfortunately, I didn't put any pictures to them yet. If you have any questions, feel free to just ask. The colors on the mylar tubing are done with Sharpies. The Perch pattern I use a Q-tip or sponge mascara applicator with alcohol to blend the colors where they meet.

http://www.flytyingworld.com/fly-detail-407-SpoonFly.html

Kirk