Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Drath

Carp/Drum fly ideas

One week from tomorrow I leave for a family get together where I’ll be able to do some bank fishing off a seawall at Lake of the Ozarks (MO). There have always been a bunch of Carp and a few Drum patrolling the banks in the mornings and evenings. The last time I was there I got a Drum to take a chart SJW while I was going after some bluegills. This trip I want to target some of those big carp. I saw the Backstabber fly mentioned in another message board thread. What are some of your favorite carp flys? I need some ideas.

Thanks

-D

Don't know about drum but for the carp---

Mr. P`s Carp carrot

Clouser swimming nymph

Montana carrot & carp candy - plus a bunch of others

crazy carper

Possie Bugger

Red fox squirrel nymph

BackStabber

Check out Roughfishers site Click on "fly patterns" in the topics column on the left.

Don't forget Woolybuggers, damsel fly nymphs, dragon fly nymphs, various colored Hares ear nymphs, small clouser minnows or any buggy nymph pattern will do. I like my flies to have enough weight to get down the the carps feeding level/zone quickly.

I am not too informed on the drum. But, if I am not mistaken, drum eat baitfish? Try some clousers. OR some wooly buggers. Can't go wrong with those. Tie up a good selection of colors, too.

Brian, thanks for all the links! That is some great stuff.

Mswaterfowler, thanks for jogging my memory. Sometimes I need to be hit on the head. A few years ago (heck maybe 6 or 7 by now) I caught a big ol’ drum on a bucktail jig I tied for bass fishin’ with my baitcasting gear. It was on the same lake too. A clouser minnow might be the way to go… and I’ve already got some of those tied up.

Thanks

-D

Something light colored fluffy and streamerlike for the drum (think slumpbuster). For the carp in MO or anywhere for that matter I prefer a headstand.

Here is a youtube I did a few years back for the headstand.

Steve

Steve, thanks for the link to your video. That's a sharp looking fly. I think I"ll try some with the swords and some with Marabou.

Thanks

-D

Either one works just as well. I have found though that the sword does seem to make a bit of a difference if the water is murky... not the off color that almost all Missouri lakes are but more muddy murky.

Steve