Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
planettrout

Micro-Caddis...

Here are two out of three micro-caddis patterns that I use. The largest micro-caddis will be #18, most will fall into the #22-#24 category wih some...much smaller. Their primary colors are brown, olive and yellow. One will know they are present by looking in stream side vegetation where the adults will be scurrying about like crazy...

I find them here, in great numbers, in August and September...

P1020043.jpg

The Lower Owens River, Bishop, CA...

P1020256.jpg

BROWN MICRO – CADDIS

THREAD: Lagartun 74 Denier, Rusty Brown or Gordon Griffith 14/0 Sheer, Brown - ( Yellow thread for body / Grey head for Yellow version)

HOOK: TMC 2488 or 2488H #20 – # 24

TAG: Gold Holo Tinsel - ( Silver for Yellow version)

OVER ABDOMEN: Tan Micro Tubing – (Clear for Yellow version - over Yellow thread)

WINGS: Brown Zelon, strand split ( Dun for Yellow version)

THORAX: Brown Ostrich Herl – ( Grey for Yellow version)

They are also a prevalent, but usually unseen (by most FF), insect here:

MICHAELEASTWALKER1_1.jpg

The East Walker River, that my kid is standing in, Bridgeport, CA...they are lurking in a lot of other places too... :bugeyes:

P1020258.jpg

OLIVE MICRO – CADDIS

THREAD: Lagartun, 74 Denier, Olive or Gordon Griffith 14/0 Sheer, Olive

HOOK: TMC 2488 or 2488H, # 20 – #24

TAG: Green Holo Tinsel

OVER ABDOMEN: Olive Micro Tubing

WINGS : Olive Zelon. strand separated

THORAX: Sm. Olive Ostrich Herl

P1020262.jpg

Try some...the Trout will LOVE you...

PT/TB :headbang:

Great flies for a hatch that can be really difficult to fish. If those micro caddis are what the trout are feeding on, you'll often see several anglers getting skunked. I've had luck even in August fishing a micro caddis in fairly still pools, though mine aren't nearly as nice as yours. I tie mine with a brown thread body and a natural snowshoe wing in about a #22. Drifted in the film. I will have to give this a shot though!

Great flies for a hatch that can be really difficult to fish. If those micro caddis are what the trout are feeding on, you'll often see several anglers getting skunked. I've had luck even in August fishing a micro caddis in fairly still pools, though mine aren't nearly as nice as yours. I tie mine with a brown thread body and a natural snowshoe wing in about a #22. Drifted in the film. I will have to give this a shot though!

COLD,

These are Emergers...I fish them fom the bottom to just under the surface of the water column...the body is a steal from John Barr's Graphic Caddis...the Holo tag is the trigger...I love the motion of Ostrich herl. I use this thorax on a Krystal BWO/Baetis emerger that scores big time on the Lower Owens River...

PT/TB :yahoo:

Man! The only thing I miss besides our kids we left in Calif is the EASTERN SIERRA! Thanks for sharing the pictures!