Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Rick Mc

Surf Candy Style Fly Material Question

Hey all.

I am trying to get together the materials to tie some Surf Candy style flies for small mouth bass in lakes. I am simply astounded by the sheer number of synthetic materials for tying these patterns. Neer hair, craft fur, Unique hair, streamer hair, on and on, etc. I am sure that most of the saltwater type materials will be long enough, but I've been to 4 different shops and they do not have all of the colors that I would like in the same material. I would like to use three different colors of the same material for the wing (Olive/tan/white or cream). I'm looking to mail order some materials and I have a few questions:

1) Which material would you recommend? The streamers that I want to tie will be around 3 inches long. Is craft fur or extra select craft fur long enough or shouldI go with some saltwater type material?

2) Where would you recommend that I order these materials from?

Thanks for your time!

Rick Mc

Hey all.

I am trying to get together the materials to tie some Surf Candy style flies for small mouth bass in lakes. I am simply astounded by the sheer number of synthetic materials for tying these patterns. Neer hair, craft fur, Unique hair, streamer hair, on and on, etc. I am sure that most of the saltwater type materials will be long enough, but I've been to 4 different shops and they do not have all of the colors that I would like in the same material. I would like to use three different colors of the same material for the wing (Olive/tan/white or cream). I'm looking to mail order some materials and I have a few questions:

1) Which material would you recommend? The streamers that I want to tie will be around 3 inches long. Is craft fur or extra select craft fur long enough or shouldI go with some saltwater type material?

2) Where would you recommend that I order these materials from?

Thanks for your time!

Rick Mc

I would suggest some quality bucktail, which I believe was used in the original pattern before super hair was used. The advantage of the super hair is durability for blue fish but this would not be an issue with smallies. You might want to play around with using silicone instead of epoxy.