Fly Tying
Bryan Wright

Breaking Thread

I have a question. How many times have you broken your thread? Am I doing something wrong why do keep breaking my thread? I am brand new and working with brand new tools. Does the bobbin need to go through a break in time?

Okay so there's probably one main reason for this. You dont have the arms of the bobbins set the right adjustment for thread. To loosen and let the thread flow easier, pull the arms of the bobbin apart. If your thread is breaking you either have to light of thread and your bobbin is not set right so just pull apart the arms and try until you get the right adjustments. I also suggest using a 6/0 thread for beginner.

Okay so there's probably one main reason for this. You dont have the arms of the bobbins set the right adjustment for thread. To loosen and let the thread flow easier, pull the arms of the bobbin apart. If your thread is breaking you either have to light of thread and your bobbin is not set right so just pull apart the arms and try until you get the right adjustments. I also suggest using a 6/0 thread for beginner.

Lets step back.... what thread are you breaking? Bobbins can be defective as well but lets start with what thread first and go from there.

I am posting from work but as soon as I get home I will check what thread I am using. I didn't realise the bobbin was adjustable. I bet that is the issue.

The three common causes of thread breakage I am aware of are:

1. Because more tension was placed on the thread than it was capable of withstanding,

- - - - Everyone is going to break thread at some point. I almost always use 8/0 thread. It

- - - - is my belief that this has helped me learn how much tension I can put on the thread.

- - - - It doesn't happen to me that often anymore. I use my thumb to advance the thread.

- - - - Most of the time I am not really aware that I am doing it... muscle memory(or whatever).

2. The bobbin may have a sharp spot in it which cuts the thread,

- - - - If the bobbin has a ceramic insert which has cracked, it is probably garbage can time for the bobbin.

- - - - If the bobbin's tube is metal and it has developed a grove, it is probably garbage can time for the bobbin.

3. The thread may break because you ran it over the point of the hook.

- - - - Once you realize this has happened, it shouldn't happen to you as often from then on.

my first bobbin was not beveled at the ends... it would shred thread almost every fly. make sure you ave a bobbin that has the "flared" tube ends.

If that is the case keep that bobbin you can use it for wires IMO they are good for nothing else

Once you have eliminated possible bobbin problems as the cause, try breaking the thread intentionally as practice. Do it several times and you will develop a feel for how tight you can wrap it. As said above, we all break thread. If you're not breaking your thread occasionally, you're probably not wrapping tightly enough.

Thanks, Bob H

I am so mad at myself. I was "adjusting" my bobbin last night. It has a cermic tube and while I was adjusting the tension I put a light pressure on the tube accidentally and smapped it off. DOH!!!

Luckilly I have another bobbin with a metal tube not flared or anything special but I was so upset with myself. I know how fragile ceramic is. I was jut not being carefull enough. Now I have to buy another bobbin. Any suggestions? I want to stick with ceramic maybe one that is cermic lined metal tube. I don't want to spend a fortune ona bobbin so lets see if there are any suggestions for under 15 bucks.

Thanks,

I am so mad at myself. I was "adjusting" my bobbin last night. It has a cermic tube and while I was adjusting the tension I put a light pressure on the tube accidentally and smapped it off. DOH!!!

Luckilly I have another bobbin with a metal tube not flared or anything special but I was so upset with myself. I know how fragile ceramic is. I was jut not being carefull enough. Now I have to buy another bobbin. Any suggestions? I want to stick with ceramic maybe one that is cermic lined metal tube. I don't want to spend a fortune ona bobbin so lets see if there are any suggestions for under 15 bucks.

Thanks,

click for bobbin

...while I was adjusting the tension I put a light pressure on the tube accidentally and smapped it off.

Can you clarify? Did the ceramic tube snap off the arms? or, did the ceramic tube actually break? If the two pieces just came unattached, you should be able to do something (think duct tape) to get them back together. (after the duct tape doesn't work well enough, you'll figure out a better solution!) Don't toss it out until you have proven it can't be fixed!

...while I was adjusting the tension I put a light pressure on the tube accidentally and smapped it off.

Can you clarify? Did the ceramic tube snap off the arms? or, did the ceramic tube actually break? If the two pieces just came unattached, you should be able to do something (think duct tape) to get them back together. (after the duct tape doesn't work well enough, you'll figure out a better solution!) Don't toss it out until you have proven it can't be fixed!

It snapped off the ceramic tube broke into two pieces it seperated form the rest of the bobbin. :blink: Totally sucked but at least is was not an expensive one. I boought the set from cabelas it is the soft grip set total was 29.99 the bobbin itself is only 5 bucks to replace it.

That 70 denier thread isn't (IMO) very well suited to a brand new tier. Go and get yourself a spool of 6/0 or 8/0 thread to get the basics down. Or don't...if you can start off well with that stuff, you'll think the bigger stuff is like wire rope!

Has anybody addressed the thread quality issue? I love danville thread, I use it almost exclusively, but recently I bought a bobbin of beige 6/0 that was terrible! I looked at it under a magnifiying glass and my reading specs and the diameter of the thread is not uniform at all! It was just a bad batch of thread, and as for uni 70 denier, I have had problems with that thread before, thats why I switched to danville. On the other hand, couldn't you just glue the ceramic tube back together with a touch of zap a gap or some other CA ?

look, we ALL break thread. 85% will admit to doing it at least occasionally, the other 15% lie about it.

My suggestion is to get a couple spools of Danville prewaxed monocord 3/0 and tie with that. It is strong, ties well except for small flies, and you won't be tempted to use 20 thread wraps when 4 or 5 will do the job. Important stuff for a person starting out.

freak also brings out a good point, there are some spools of thread that just have weak spots. Especially true for finer thread. I've had a few of them. Same size, type, color, and brand as other spools purchased right at the same time--- and once in a great while, a spool will just have weak spots. Just throw that spool away (or take it back if your vendor was local) and get another one. Thread is cheap.